HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcarp

Anyone fouling plugs..read this

2 posts in this topic

OK, this site is bombarded with fouled plug and jetting nightmares.

Here's 3 hints to help, take it or leave it. Hope it helps newbies.

1. DO NOT apply ANY AMOUNT OF throttle when starting or when engine is off.

2. WARM UP YOUR BIKE. 2 minutes doesn't cut it, and only 1 second on choke. Try 5-7 minutes, slightly revving occasionally after a few minutes.

3. Turn off the fuel and drain your carb after riding for the day. Fuel will splash during transport and flood it causing spark fouling. Doing just this and nothing else until I upgraded the pipe solved my fouling problems, unbelievable but true. Of course the trailheads I park in are always rutted, pothole filled areas.

Hope this helps, works for me, it's been 400 miles since constant fouling my '00 just by being careful of the above and doing nothing else (have since changed jetting, rode like hell, added pipe, rode like hell, YZ timing, changed jetting again, rode like hell waiting for EKP not a fouled plug and didn't change it!

Yes, of course #4 is correct jetting--good luck :)

I'VE DONE JUST THAT AND STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL PLUG IN THE MOTOR FOR THE LAST 2 TWO YEARS.NO PROBLEM. HAVE RUN ULP,SUPER, AND AVGAS. (93RON,95RON,100RON).

98WR400. OPEN AIR BOX, MOD PIPE, VORTEX.