HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buck

Help! White plastic in head!

18 posts in this topic

I just took apart my head to check out everything and I found a piece of white plastic about 1/4 inch square. I know that there is nothing that is white plastic in the head so what is it and where did it come from and what do I need to do to fix it? Please help!

You DEFINATELY need to see a doctor about that plastic in your head. Have you been hearing voices too?

(I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist, it's the holidays you know)

Bryan...

Wow. Where was it? I’ll assume you found it just under the cover by the cams. Maybe it is a piece of zip tie left over from whoever last adjusted the valves, or maybe plastiguage from someone checking cam bearing clearance.

Isn’t one of the CDI connectors white? Maybe you broke a piece off of one and it fell onto the head.

Last and final guess: dried up piece of Yamabond (more grey than white though).

Nope, I found the plastic piece resting right on top of the cam holder when I took the cover off. CDI connectors are all in place and look complete. It doesn't look like a zip tie to me. Any one else out there have a guess or know for sure what in the engine is made out of white plastic?

Check your carb slide. It may have chipped off and relocated itself within the engine. It is white and it has occurred twice already

wr4yz: How would a piece of the carb slide end up in the head area around the cams? If a piece of the slide broke off, it could only get sucked into the combustion chamber and possibly get crushed and then expelled out the exhaust. The piston rings would keep it from getting into the crankcase and then pumped via the oil pump into the cylinder head. That just can't happen.

Buck: Obviously, this pastic piece shouldn't be there. It's not a sign that your engine is disintegrating, it just means that somehow, somewhere, some foreign piece of material was dropped in there....probably when someone had the valve cover removed. I would be more concerned that other pieces are inside and might get lodged in an oil line or passage thereby blocking proper oil flow. Not good!

wr4yz: How would a piece of the carb slide end up in the head area around the cams? If a piece of the slide broke off, it could only get sucked into the combustion chamber and possibly get crushed and then expelled out the exhaust. The piston rings would keep it from getting into the crankcase and then pumped via the oil pump into the cylinder head. That just can't happen.

Buck: Obviously, this pastic piece shouldn't be there. It's not a sign that your engine is disintegrating, it just means that somehow, somewhere, some foreign piece of material was dropped in there....probably when someone had the valve cover removed. I would be more concerned that other pieces are inside and might get lodged in an oil line or passage thereby blocking proper oil flow. Not good!

I just thought that it might be something like an oil; pump propeller or a kick starter spring holder or something that eas in the crank case. I am going to have to take things apart to find out where it came from. It is a pretty big piece of plastic so I don't think that it magically or mistakenly just got in there. I was just hoping that someone out there had had their bike apart and could tell me about any plastic parts that are in the motor.

Originally posted by Buck:

I was just hoping that someone out there had had their bike apart and could tell me about any plastic parts that are in the motor.

I’ve had mine apart. Plastic things I remember is kickstart ratchet and two cam chain guides (& maybe part of the tensioner?), all black. Oil pump has two sides, one is steel and the other is an internal, integral impeller so I doubt that’s it.

Weird. If it still runs then don’t worry about it, I don’t think a piece of plastic could hurt anything in the motor/tranny anyway, and unless I’m forgetting something there is NO white plastic of any kind inside a YZF motor.

White plastic is a condition of bad motor oil turning onto white plastic. It ruins your motor but you can't tell for a long time. Sounds like it is to late for you to fix it. But not all is lost, I will buy it from you for $900.00 dollars, providing it has good tires on it.

You can get in touch with me at: HODAKA MOTORS, Palm Beach, Florida.

Buck... If you bought this bike brand new then I would just assume that it was a piece of something that was in there by mistake when some Japanese guy/girl put the thing together.

Was there anything wrong with the motor when you found it?

Or were you just checking the valve adjustment?

The bike is a use 1999 YZ I bought it cheap beacuse the guys kid had siezed the motor (piston to cylinder wall) burned up the clutch and ruined the stator. All of which was replaced by a shop. My guess would be the Hodaka Motors guy. It was a joke the way this shop did things. So I decided to check it out myself. That is when I found the white plastic. Now after taking everything that can be taken apart without spliting the cases looking for anything that has white plastic I finally found it. It was a a piece of the old stator. It is the only thing that has white plastic on it in the entire engine. everything looks good with the new stator so I am going to go with the fact that it must of came off the old one and the idiot that worked on it didn't clean out the cases when he was fixing things. Thanks for all the input.

Buck