What gas do you guys run.

just out of curiosity what octane of gas do you guys run in your bikes? i personally run 91 octane when im here in college but 87 is the best i can do w/out octane boosters when i'm back home for the sumer. i cant tell any difference but my neighbor with a yfz 450 quad says he can tell the difference in how his engine sounds running 92 octane vs. 87.

93...no need for anything better.

Jeremiah,

I agree 100% I also run 93 and bike runs fine. Manual recommends 95 but 93 should work fine. I would be hesitant to run anything beyond what the manual recommends.

PS. Fortunately I did know my mother... :naughty: Whether she is attractive or not is a question for my father...

I run 100 @ $5.75 per gallon. There is a HUGE difference between 83 & 93 and even greater from 93 to 100. Call me crazy but it seems to start easier too??

To each his own. My bike always starts real easy, (after I cleaned the choke circut), so it hasn't been an issue.

Checked my yamaha 426 handbook (i just bought the bike yesterday) and it advices the use of 95 octane. Where am I going to get 95 octance in North Western Ohio?
The manual refers to octane number as it is calculated in Japan, where they use a different method than in the U.S. 91 or higher figured by the method used here (R+M/2) is enough.
I run 100 @ $5.75 per gallon. There is a HUGE difference between 83 & 93 and even greater from 93 to 100. Call me crazy but it seems to start easier too??
Here we go again.

Gasoline is a complicated compound with a lot of different characteristics. Octane is only one of those. All that the octane number is is a measure of a fuel's resistance to pressure induced detonation (ranging from a slight ping to a very loud knock). Detonation is bad. Gasoline is supposed to burn, something like a wave, over most of the length of the power stroke. It is not supposed to all or partially simultaneously explode. Detonation is about a good for an engine as putting rocks in the cylinder and making it crush them. Actually, it's even worse than that.

The octane number required by an engine is determined primarily by its compression ratio, and then, usually by testing by the manufacturer under a variety of circumstances.

Octane number has nothing whatsoever directly to do with energy content, burn rate, flash point, or anything else other than resistance to compression ignition, although some of the methods used to modify a fuel's octane can cause changes in these and other characteristics.

Basically, you need a fuel that has at least the octane number required by the engine. More is unnecessary, and will you will gain nothing from it. Less is risking detonation, and while you may find you can use a lower octane fuel successfully in some cases, I don't think it's worth the risk. Any performance gains you have found using a different fuel of either higher or lower octane are due to the superior quality or energy content of that fuel, not its octane number. A good example is VP Ultimate 4. It's good for about one full horsepower in a 450, but it's only 92 octane.

Read this if you want to find out more: Gas FAQ's - Octane

BTW, I run Arco 91.

I run 92 or 93 octain. Have not had any problems with detonation or starting. I forget which one of the several magazines i get, test all their bikes on 91 or 92 octain, even though the books state 95 octain for most high compression bikes. I know of a couple guys running 87 octain in there rides, but thats there call. Sunoco sells 94 octain but its mixed with a blend of ethenol, I dont use it though, ethenol is supose to be hard on the valves apparently? Owners manuel also says not to use any fuel that has a blend of ethanol also......... Just my two cents......

I agree wholeheartedly about the quality of the fuel being more important than the octane number. I have found that using the highest pump number (93 here in Fl) and ensuring StaBil is mixed with it produces an easy starting and smooth running motor, no matter how long it sits between rides. Haven't had a gummed carb yet, and that's after two 6 month deployments.....

The bikes are designed to run on pump premium. Running more octane won't do anything. On supercross tracks some guys use 91 octane because the bikes pull harder out of corners.

The VP U4 is a different story.

A YZ450 is faster than 99.9% of people can handle anyway.