HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beasleys

Chain Tension on a 426

9 posts in this topic

What is the correct way to set the proper chain tension on my 01 426? I set it with two fingers on top of the swingarm but when I do that it makes a poping noise when getting on the power in first or second. I think the noise is the chain slapping the swingarm. When I adjust the slack out enough for the noise to stop then the chain is pretty tight towards the bottom of the suspension stroke. What is the right way?

I like to have 3 fingers slack in the chain right behind the guide. How old is your chain+Sprockets? If they are worn, the chain will chatter more. I found a big difference when I went to an o-ring chain, there was alot less chain noise.

I believe the spec is 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" with the wheel hanging free. It's important to set it while it's on a stand, because the spec takes into account the slack taken up by the lower roller.

Chain slap at low RPM is pretty normal.

The chain, front sprocket, and rear sprocket all only have approx 10 hours on them. I replaced them all as a set.

2-3 fingers at the last bolt on the chain slide. That is where you measure it. I usually set it about 2.5, just where I cannot get the 3rd finger under there.

Its gonna slap in the lower gears even when adjusted right. Keep an eye on the guides to make sure its not wearing through. Motoman has a pretty good article on it on his web site @ http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

An O Ring Chain worked better for me.