HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaGuy78

Coolant Change

7 posts in this topic

How often should you flush and change your coolant? I have a new 05 450 with about 250 miles on it... Is it time?

Also, what do you guys add to the water?

My manual says every 2 years which is what I adhere to. If you ride in extreme conditions (hot) you may do it more frequently.

on that note, are there any tricks or 'gotchas' when changing coolant? stuff like making sure there are no air bubbles in the system etc. Is it easy enough to do?

I run Engine Ice in the big KTM, and will run that in the YZ & WR when I get around to changing the fluid. It's more expensive, but good stuff.

on that note, are there any tricks or 'gotchas' when changing coolant? stuff like making sure there are no air bubbles in the system etc. Is it easy enough to do?

I run Engine Ice in the big KTM, and will run that in the YZ & WR when I get around to changing the fluid. It's more expensive, but good stuff.

You might check out this post from ncmountainman:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226166&highlight=coolant

He uses something called NPG-R in his bike. He has had numerous boiling over problems on his bike (tight single track / slow riding), and switched to this stuff. Solved his problems.

Agreed! The NPG-R is the way to go if you have overheating problem. If you are just wanting to know what to add to your 50/50, pick up a gallon of distilled water. No corrosion that way!