Oil?

Hi guys, need to change the oil on my XR650R. Couldn't find bike specific engine oil so I picked up some 15W/40 part synthetic motor oil instead. Will this be ok to use/is it the same? :naughty:

I would`nt use motor oil as the bike has a wet clutch...I`d choose a motorcycle oil that states its OK on th ebottle for bikes with wet clutches...

What mileage is on the engine??....

Not much, about 6000miles

I use castrol gtx in all my bikes and allways have with no problems.

However i change my oil VERY regularly. about every 300 miles of riding or 1 race, ussually about 100 miles but riden hard.

keith has a point about wet clutches though.

you make the call man!

mike

As the others have said. I said as such in my message to you. Then I came here and read what these guys have said, good to know I think the same as the others on here.

6K....well run in...I`d use fully synthetic....for only putting in 2 litres each time along with a new filter it`ll not be too expensive...and you can stretch the oil change intervals a little bit ......see my thread also on Oil Screen debris....

Hi guys, need to change the oil on my XR650R. Couldn't find bike specific engine oil so I picked up some 15W/40 part synthetic motor oil instead. Will this be ok to use/is it the same? :naughty:

it'll probably be ok. you want to avoid (as a rule) 0w and 5w oils. i use delo 400 15w-40 and it works fine

when it comes to synthetic oil you want to go with and oil without the MOLY additive. It has been my expierence that MOLY makes the clutch slip after a prolonged period of time. I myself go with amsoil 20w50 full synthetic motorcycle oil. But, it is up to you

No - I went to school on oils and I would never use a automotive engine in a motorcycle. They are far different with the cycle oil having many more special additives. Also a synthetic based oil and a petroleum based oil are almost the same. If you analyze petroleum oil it usually has a oil base of 1 -3%. This means that it is 97 to 99% additives. The only time you will notice a difference is at temperatures over 250 degrees. That is when petroleum oil breaks down. But how often does your bike or car run over 250 degrees. So unless money isn't a issue use a petroleum based oil. Also keep in mind a automotive engine doesn't have a clutch in the motor. This requires the oil to have special additives no usually added to automotive oils. Everyone has different opinions on oil, it is like religion and politics. This is just some of what the oil experts taught me in school, hope it helps you.

Motorycycle oils do not necesarily have that many more additives than regular auto oil. This has been true for quite some time. The golden rule is to avoide auto oils labelled "energy conserving" in the API label. You will find that many heavy duty oils (diesel) have as much if not more of the additives like zinc and phos than motorycycle oils. Do some searching and you will see. Moly has been rumored to cause slippage in wet clutches but Mobil 1 puts nearly 100ppm moly in their motorycycle oils and even less in their auto Mobil 1 Extended performance (former red cap) 15w50 coming in around 70ppm.

A

My manuel says to you a quality 30 wt oil . Way before we had any special 4 stroke bull. This was back in 1972 for the ole SL 350 . And is still running like new !!! Go figure.

My manuel says to you a quality 30 wt oil . Way before we had any special 4 stroke bull. This was back in 1972 for the ole SL 350 . And is still running like new !!! Go figure.

Sweet bike. :naughty:

SL350K1ORANGE.jpg

We used to use a bottle of Jack Daniels for anesthetic on the operating table but that doesn't mean we should still do it :naughty: . Take your point though

Motorycycle oils do not necesarily have that many more additives than regular auto oil. This has been true for quite some time. The golden rule is to avoide auto oils labelled "energy conserving" in the API label. You will find that many heavy duty oils (diesel) have as much if not more of the additives like zinc and phos than motorycycle oils. Do some searching and you will see. Moly has been rumored to cause slippage in wet clutches but Mobil 1 puts nearly 100ppm moly in their motorycycle oils and even less in their auto Mobil 1 Extended performance (former red cap) 15w50 coming in around 70ppm.

A

Like I said, everyone thinks they know all when it comes to oil. Read all the responses, and choose who you think has the most helpful information.

I have always felt that following the manufacturers recommendation is a good bet. For my 87 XR600, Honda likes 20w50 SF/SE. So that's what I run. The only oil at my local Kragen meeting this criteria was labled 4-Cycle Motorcycles Oil. I forget the brand.

Like I said, everyone thinks they know all when it comes to oil. Read all the responses, and choose who you think has the most helpful information.

I know what I know from researching the hell out of this one and looking at numbers. If you want facts, look at the numbers and you can find an analysis done on many oils at www.bobistheoilguy.com as well as many other sources on the net.

Sorry, there isn't anything too magic about motorcycle oil. A bit more zinc and phosphorous than SOME auto oils but some mc oils still have low zinc / phos. Is it safer to go with motorcycle oils? Probably because you don't have to worry about any friction modiefiers that will effect your clutch.

I also know that companies like Shell recommend their Heavy Duty oils for motorcycle because there website says it under Q&A www.rotella.com. You can go on Mobil's website and they too recommend their plain old Mobil Clean 5000 for motorcycles.

Do I know it all? No, I know enough to make a decision that is right for me. Didn't sit through "Motor Oil 101" like some people however. I may have to check out that class :naughty:

I know what I know from researching the hell out of this one and looking at numbers. If you want facts, look at the numbers and you can find an analysis done on many oils at www.bobistheoilguy.com as well as many other sources on the net.

Sorry, there isn't anything too magic about motorcycle oil. A bit more zinc and phosphorous than SOME auto oils but some mc oils still have low zinc / phos. Is it safer to go with motorcycle oils? Probably because you don't have to worry about any friction modiefiers that will effect your clutch.

I also know that companies like Shell recommend their Heavy Duty oils for motorcycle because there website says it under Q&A www.rotella.com. You can go on Mobil's website and they too recommend their plain old Mobil Clean 5000 for motorcycles.

Do I know it all? No, I know enough to make a decision that is right for me. Didn't sit through "Motor Oil 101" like some people however. I may have to check out that class :naughty:

Some people do a lot of reseach on their own and others learn from the developer/manufacturer/professional researchers themselves. But all in all I would have to agree with mantrasonica, go with what the manufacturer recommends. They build the vehicle, I would hope they no it best! If anyone wants to use auto oil in their bike, go for it. But is it worth the risk? :naughty:

I've read all postings and feel the heat :naughty: . I also like the idea of using the manufacturer recommended oil, since there is no guessing game. If you want a good oil I use the Honda sinthetic 4 stroke oil with my 95 XRL. I have no problems with my bike and have 61,245 miles on the engine :D . Everything on the cycle has been rebuilt except the engine and it stills runs strong and doesn't smoke. I ride easy most of the time, mostly offroad (cross country riding) but at least 15,000 miles on the road. I just change the oil and filter every 50 hours and keep the valves properly adjusted. Everything is stock except exhaust, filter, and smog parts removed. I have original stock carburetor settings for better gas mileage. My best guess to why the longevity of the engine is good Honda synthetic oil and keeping the engine temp down :naughty: . I have seen articles that give carburetor modifications. Does drilling out the slide really help, I have always wondered? I guess if I want sell my XR I will have to put a new speedo :D on it- huh.

I DO agree you definitely can't go wrong and the guessing game is gone when using an MA approved oil. Going by what the manufacturer recommends is also spot on and that is what I do. In my 03 650R manual is says it is acceptable to use SH or higher 10w40 or 20w50 NOT labelled "energy conserving" Good enough for me.