New to a 2003 yz450f.....got some ??????

Just barely bought the bike, havent riden it yet, so ive got a few questions for the pros.

What should i look for, such as problems that could go wrong? im gonna change the oil and brake fluid, as well as the clutch..\

Is there anything i can do to the bike right now to make it better? im totally new the the 4 stroke world (two stroke guy) can i tune the carb to make it faster?

are there any particular problems with this year?

Any suggestions or comment will be highly appreciated!!!!!!!

kevan

:naughty:

Did you buy it used or as a left-over new bike? I would add greasing the linkage either way and servicing the suspension if it's used (wait till it's broken in for that if new). Otherwise, add an O-ring chain if it still has the stocker, maybe better tires for your location. The clutch uses same oil as the engine - change it often and you'll be fine, plenty of opinions on what oil to use. Change/clean filters while you're at it, if you bought it used you might want to check valve clearance. Jetting the carb for your location will help, if you need more speed turn the throttle more (no offense meant) and hang on. Have fun!

A visit to Thumper FAQ seems in order. :naughty: Lots of good stuff there.

Of course, I realize the site is targeted to owners of the little thumpers, but a lot of the information there crosses over.

If you are going to work on the clutch, don't rebuild with the same stuff it came with. There are three better options.

The GYT-R clutch kit (the parts are mostly Hinson)- Excellent results

A Hinson clutch - Best you can get

Search for "'03 clutch mods" or similar in this forum and use the alternative Yamaha OEM parts to upgrade. Very good results

add an O-ring chain if it still has the stocker

what is the difference between o-ring chain and a stock chain?

It has a few aftermarket parts, mainly protection. It is used but in good shape, nothing needed to be replaced (thats what he says, but im sure he just wanted to sell the bike) I got it for 3900 (ok deal?), but for 200 more i got a few things with it. This wasnt from a dealer, its from a personal owner and he is a good guy so it cant be that bad

Since i am so new to 4 strokes, and this is the first bike ive owned, How do you check for things like valve clearances? Ive been reading about stretched chains, how can i tell it mine is bad or not?

Are there kits you can buy to make working on your bike easier? like mechanics tools set or carpenters tools set, do they make an advance motorycle tool kit?

So much to learn, not so much time.

if you need more speed turn the throttle more (no offense meant) and hang on. Have fun!

lol no offense taken, im a power junkie so im sure ill want to beef it up. But ill see, my gf just bought a 2004 yz250f so i wont be able to gas it too much, ill have to wait for her

kevan (really stoked about this bike)

High quality o-ring chains last about four times as long as non-sealed chains, and require little or no maintenance other than washing the dirt off (Not with a pressure washer) and putting something on the clean chain to prevent rust. Don't use any chain lube that will not dry "clean" to the touch. Having a gooey lube gather up grit will ruin the rings.

I've had Regina OR chains go longer than two years on a CR500. They don't stretch, either. At all. Really.

Don't use any chain lube that will not dry "clean" to the touch. Having a gooey lube gather up grit will ruin the rings

I found out that i have an o ring chain on it :naughty: He has put some white tackey stuff on the chain. Ill be going to the dunes this weekend so im assuming i need to take this off and put good stuff on right?

how should i clean it off?

what should i put on there?

thanks

kevan

I found out that i have an o ring chain on it :naughty: He has put some white tackey stuff on the chain. Ill be going to the dunes this weekend so im assuming i need to take this off and put good stuff on right?

how should i clean it off?

what should i put on there?

Simple Green and a low pressure water spray, like from a garden hose will also work well.

Some use WD40 to prevent rust, but I like to use a lube on it because I think it helps to lube the outer roller bushings, which are not sealed, and I think it helps protect the exterior surfaces of the O-rings. Again, what you choose for this needs to set up dry to the touch, so something like a chain wax is good. I use Maxima's Synthetic Chain Guard.