First Gear Problem - Brand New 04 YZF

Anyone had any problems with getting into first gear after coming back down through the gears after on the gas and needing to get back into first gear? I have just bought a brand new 04 YZF 450 and am having trouble finding first gear coming back down through the gears. It is happening about 70% of the time.

Dont know if it just because its brand new and needs to be worn in? I have ridden it twice and did 130k's on my first ride. Second ride just, rode for a couple of hours to see if it would improve. No improvement.

I have now taken it back to the store for it is still under warranty. Hopefully it is nothing major.

Anyone had the same problem?

I didn't have that problem, but I remember my transmission was really notchy when it was new.

Try letting it break in then switching to a full synthetic oil. The difference in shifting from the dyno oil that was in there for break in and the m1 red cap is unbelieveable.

yeah mine does the same thing on occasions.... not 70% of the time but on occasions... i just rock the bike up maybe 3 inches with my feet and it will find the gear... no big deal kinda makes finding neutral a little easier!

and ovrdrive... what were the benefits of full synthetic... all my yamalube is gone and time to buy more... i know there are millions of oil posts but how does syn. really help?

thanks!

and ovrdrive... what were the benefits of full synthetic... all my yamalube is gone and time to buy more... i know there are millions of oil posts but how does syn. really help?

thanks!

I'm actually going to say that if you change your oil the way it is recommended on this forum, it probably won't help you to use synth.

However, in my own experience, using full synthetic has made the transmission shift a whole lot easier. Not just on my yz450, but I noticed it on my FZ1 too.

I have no idea if it is actually doing anything better for the engine, but I can feel it in the transmission for sure, there is no mistaking it.

In my mind, I know the full synth oils are of higher quality too, so surely it is lubricating better as well.

I change every other ride, and I don't race. On my maintenance schedule, I'm sure any oil would do. But I use M1 red cap because I know it is a great oil.

ahh ic... well thank you for the reply... i might have to buy a few quarts and see how i like it... thanks for the tip!

If you can find it. Mobil does not make THAT red cap (15/50 full syn) anymore (there is another mobil red cap but not the correct one), but there is still some on the shelves in some stores. There are a dozen or so posts on TT about the red cap and its replacement Mobil 1 Gold cap MX4T. There are also some test results for the same. Another option, is the Mobil 1 gold cap Extended Protection 15/50 which is supposed to contain less moly which is a good thing for wet clutches. I bought a gallon, but haven't used it yet ($23.00). BTW, I'm sure your tranny will loosen up.

Mostly, what really cures this is time. The trans is a bit notchier than say, a Honda to begin with, and they take some getting used to. One thing you can do to help is to raise your shifter slightly so that it's easier to push it down. That's solved the problem for a few people I know.

You can rework the indexing star on the shift drum, but that will make it harder to find neutral when you want it. I'd say move the shifter a little, get used to it, and let it wear in. That transmission is going to last a long time, don't expect it to change much in just 100 or 200k.

A couple of points.

High quality synthetic oils are better than non-synthetics from several standpoints. They should be your first choice regardless of whether they immediately make your trans smoother or not.

Mobil 1 Gold Cap and Mobil 1 MX4T are two different oils. MX4T has been around a while and is excellent (it's what I use). Gold Cap was just introduced as part of Mobil's revamp of its product line. It's not labeled as suitable for wet clutch applications, but also has nothing on the label that says it won't work, and so far, nobody I've heard of has used it and been dissatisfied.

If you see Mobil 1 15w-50 with a red cap, buy it ONLY IF it's the old style bottle and it says it's synthetic on the label. The new red cap is Mobil Clean 5000, and it's an Energy Conserving non-synthetic. Avoid it.

i may sound like an idiot but how do you adjust the shifter and how hard is it to do?

sounds like a 5 minute job of possibly loosening a bolt and then repositioning the shifter?

i dont have the bike or manual at my house so cant go check to what i must do

thanks

I think just loosening a nut wont get it, we must be very spacific when giving out advise or directions to fellow TTrs. The shifter is retained by a bolt which passes through the shifter and a notch in the shifter arm. I think the bolt has to be removed all the way out before the shifter arm will slide out towards you this is for safety so even if the bolt loosens you wont lose the arm and end an otherwise nice ride :naughty: . Then you can rotate the arm clockwise one spline and this will move the part you hit with your foot up a little. :naughty:

I think just loosening a nut wont get it, we must be very spacific when giving out advise or directions to fellow TTrs. The shifter is retained by a bolt which passes through the shifter and a notch in the shifter arm. I think the bolt has to be removed all the way out before the shifter arm will slide out towards you this is for safety so even if the bolt loosens you wont lose the arm and end an otherwise nice ride :naughty: . Then you can rotate the arm clockwise one spline and this will move the part you hit with your foot up a little. :naughty:

Sorry about that! You are right. I will be more careful next time.

Thanks for the info people.....I picked my bike up yesterday from the service mob due to not wanting to take any risks seeing that its still under warranty. They have opened it up and had a fiddle, and did say it was a little tight than normal. They have informed Yamaha of the issue to keep them in the loop for warranty purposes. I will be going for a quick spin this afternoon to see if there is an improvement. I am a little concerned this could turn into a bigger problem than what it seems. The whole reason for buying a brand new bike was knowing that I shouldnt have any problems. Maybe I am worrying about nothing....time will tell.

You beauty!! She is running like a dream now. No problem shifting through the gears and back into first. Gee...I just cant get over this sphincter puckering power. It is a beast! I have a grin from ear to ear!! :naughty: