HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAJA208

Oil Type help

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I just purchased a 1999 Yamaha YZ400F used. I also purchased the service manual. The service manual says to use a 10w-30 or 10w-40 type oil. Is this ok to use or is there something better I should use. I changed the oil when I bought it and havent ridden it yet. I put 10w-40 in it. I just wanted to check with you all before I go riding and do any damage. I appreciate any help you could give me. This is my first 4 stroke, My last bike was a 1983 YZ490 2 stroke and there is alot to get used to. Thanks everyone!.

ok did you just go put any old auto oil in it or 4stroke oil or what? Some will deteriorate the clutch -

You can do a search for more info than you ever dreamed of -

I would suggest Yamalube 4 or yamalube 4R if you are unsure -

I run 15-50 - Mobile1 RedCap - but please do not follow my lead - :naughty:

While it won't damage the engine, if the oil you used was marked "energy conserving" it could make your clutch slip.

But most of the 10w-40's I have seen don't have that designation.

What did you use?

I had Just regular 10w-40 motor oil in it but due to yours and everyones reply I went out and bought Bel-Ray 10w-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil. Do you think this is a good choice?. Thanks for your input.

John

Yes, it's a good choice. I'm not familiar with it, but if it meets Yamaha 's grading specs (API SG, SH, or higher), and is either graded JASO MA, or labeled as specific to motorcycle engines with wet clutches, and is NOT marked as Energy Conserving, then it will at least do the job. If it's a good full synthetic, that's even better.

Grayracer,

The exact name and type oil is Bel-Ray EXL motorcycle motor oil, SAE 10w-40 (API SG, JASO MA). The write up on the back says "A premium multi-grade petroleum motor oil for 4-stroke motorcycle engines. Equally suitable for air-cooled and liquid-cooled 4-stroke engines". Is this a good oil?.

John