Skid Plate Recommendations

Ditto on the Utah Cycle Sport plate. Well made and beefy as hell. I thought about a carbon fiber plate, but something made from cf that definitely will take abuse is not my idea of money well spent. On a bike that was strictly for closed track use, then maybe, but not for banging around the desert...SC

I use a Devol skid plate, it seems to be well built and has taken quite a few hard hits, but the "wings" on it dont cover the water pump as well as they should, I managed to get a good scrape on my water pump even with the skid plate... I don't reccomend the devol unit for anyone riding in ricky conditions.

the utah unit is very good. a bit of warning, put some small pieces of inner tube between the frame and skid plate. that big chunk of aluminum will magnify the wr's engine noise. you'll think the motor is comming apart.

I've got a devol skidplate on my 04. The bolts that came with it were kinda disappointing (bottom one was barely long enough and the 2 on the front seem to be made of butter) I'll probably change the bolts the next time I take it off.

The skidplate itself fits and looks great, I'd buy it again if I had it to do over.

I've got a devol skidplate on my 04. The bolts that came with it were kinda disappointing (bottom one was barely long enough and the 2 on the front seem to be made of butter) I'll probably change the bolts the next time I take it off.

The skidplate itself fits and looks great, I'd buy it again if I had it to do over.

Devol--Took some hard hits Sunday at the race and no problems at all. The bolts in the center need to be longer but thats not a problem-Buy longer bolts :naughty:

I went with the white brothers skid plate. It fits perfectly and is heavy duty.

Only problem is they FORGOT the oil drain hole. My jig saw kept kicking back at me while cutting it out which made it a royal PITA.

Be sure I will be calling my parts guy and get him on the phone with WB tomorrow.

I would recommend the eline carbon fiber plate. I have managed to destroy many different brands of aluminum skid plates over the years, but the eline has been absolutely indestructable. Its also lighter than aluminum and has a very large coverage area.

I have an MSR skid plate on my 05 WR450. Fit is good, and it has an oil drain hole. It looks very similar to the Utah Sports unit from what I can tell by the pictures on this post. The MSR is about $60 less than a carbon e-line. I bet the carbon e-line weights a lot less though. The engine noise is definitely louder with a full aluminum unit like the Utah Sports or MSR plate. Protection seems adequate, certainly better than the stock parts.

I have never used an eline skid but I have had no luck with their other products. Carbon fiber can take a hit and look fine but in reality all the fibers have come loose and the case behind it is now leaking. I've had eline case guards and frame guards. THe framd guards wore through in just a few rides. The case guards may have worked from small impacts but forget brushing up against a rock. The skids look very thick so maybe this isn't an issue.

My eline skid plate has taken many hits including several hard case-outs on both sharp and round rocks while jumping down rocks ledges. The only result was very light surface scratching. There is no evidence of fiber loosening.

I have occasionally done the same thing with aluminum skip plates over the years, at best they were severely deformed and in a couple of cases I had bent frame tubes.