clicking

My bike is making a really bad clicking (Increases with RPM). I thought it was the valves but i adjusted them and the problem still exists. any thoughts? thanks

93 xr650l 10k miles.

That's just broke in...

im glad its good for alot more. do you have any ideas?

Cam Chain loose?

is that a guess or do you know or have heard of that problem?

Have a compression check done to see if the valve guides are worn.

I have a compression gauge and i am going to give it a try. any tips or suggestions? thanks

Mine made a similar sound twice. One time it was because the one-way sprag clutch in the timing chain tensioner went out. The cam tensioner is designed to only push towards the chain and not back up - ever. When that sprag clutch goes out, the chain may get slack that isn't effectively supressed alone by the insufficient tension from the tensioner's spring alone.

I also had a clicking noise when my valve seats fatigued, got loose and started slapping against the aluminum of the head. The number one tell tale sign that this is occuring is that you have to keep backing your valve adjustment out to compensate for the seats banging themselves deaper into the aluminum head. This went on for a few thousand miles, until one of the seats disintigrated. The problem was cured by replacing the head, valves, guides etc..$$$. This is not normal. I beat the hell out of my 650L for the first 4 years :naughty:.

Just to state my stupidity. I was out at Cal City/Randsburg and was hearing a seemingly metallic clicking sound as I rode. Louder when I stood up, quieter when I sat down. :naughty:

When I got home I checked my seat and found that it wasn't connected in the front. Hopefully that was the problem. The plastic vibrating against the metal bolt. Haven't ridden it since.......but............. :naughty:

I also had a clicking noise when my valve seats fatigued, got loose and started slapping against the aluminum of the head. The number one tell tale sign that this is occuring is that you have to keep backing your valve adjustment out to compensate for the seats banging themselves deaper into the aluminum head. This went on for a few thousand miles, until one of the seats disintigrated. The problem was cured by replacing the head, valves, guides etc..$$$. This is not normal. I beat the hell out of my 650L for the first 4 years :naughty:.

I may have the same problem because i adjusted my valves the first time when i thought it was a problem. went out for a weekend of riding, the noise came back, went to adjust the valves again and I had to back them out. How much did it cost you to replace? Can I check this by removing the head and investigating? I try to be really nice to my bike but I am not the original owner. :naughty:

I have an older bike, but I had the EXACT same problem. Turns out my decompression cable was a little too tight.

Under load, the lever would let compression out in a tapping-sound.

Steve

as far as I know I don't have a decompresion cable.

lotsofbikes-- any diagnostics to find out for sure?