Pop-up Camper question

Ok. I have a Pop-up camper in my back yard. I set it up last night and was going thru it making sure everything works and I got stumped on the furnace. This isn't my camper and it has been in storage for 2 years. So I am not so sure on some of the systems.

Any ways. I fired up the stove and it works fine. I figured out how to light the pilot light on the furnace. There is a knob that you turn from Off to pilot. Then push and hold the knob down as you light the pilot light. Hold the knob down for a minute or so for the pilot to stay lit then turn the knob to run. Got that covered. Turn up the thermostat till I hear the click. Then the furnace fan comes on but the main burner wont kick in. Whats up with that?

Other question... At the ROS i wont have electrical service so the furnace fan wont work. Will this furnace work at all without electrical hookup? How can the thermostat work without electricty? I am thinking I am sol on heat for the ROS unless I come up with one of those colman propane bottle catalist heaters.

This camper is like mid 70's era but still in fairly decent shape. Its a Jacob I think. Even if I dont have heat its still better than sleeping on the ground in a tent :naughty:

Picked up some campdry spray for the canvas and some white duct tape to patch the hole in the roof (godzuki can sleep on that side :naughty: ) and I should be good to go.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for electricity, there should be somewhere to hook up a deep cycle battery that will run your furnace fan. Our campers will not run the furnace unless the fan works.

As for the furnace, my wifes house (before we married) would kick on and the furnace would blow for a few minutes, but heat never came out. It ended up being something simple like a $5 thermocouple or something. Should be able to contact a Jayco dealer and get more help on the prob.

as for electricity, there should be somewhere to hook up a deep cycle battery that will run your furnace fan. Our campers will not run the furnace unless the fan works.

As for the furnace, my wifes house (before we married) would kick on and the furnace would blow for a few minutes, but heat never came out. It ended up being something simple like a $5 thermocouple or something. Should be able to contact a Jayco dealer and get more help on the prob.

I was wondering about the battery option myself. Seems that the lights and fan should run of off 12 volts. Hmmm maybe I should get out the multi meter and start poking around. find a spot for a battery. There is some power station thingy on the bottom of one of the benches. I have been wondering what the heck that thing is. Might be just what I am looking for.

That thermocouple thingy is what I was thinking of also. but I know nothing about furnaces. hmmm. Maybe my neighbor knows something about that. He's a handy guy and has a pop-up as well as a full size motor home to boot.

Electricity and furnaces. 2 things I know very little about.

can your pop up run off your trucks 12 volt battery, the only thing is you will have to start it occasionaly to keep charge in the trucks battery or you will need a jump.

Maybe but I would have to wire a seperate power wire for that otherwise I would have to have the parking lights on all the time. That wont work :naughty:

I was wondering about the battery option myself. Seems that the lights and fan should run of off 12 volts. Hmmm maybe I should get out the multi meter and start poking around. find a spot for a battery. There is some power station thingy on the bottom of one of the benches. I have been wondering what the heck that thing is. Might be just what I am looking for.

The box under the seat is the breaker box and charge control center for the camper. The battery should go in a recess designed for it somewhere on the outside of the camper. You'll know you have the right one because there should be battery cables there. (Imagine that!) When you are plugged into 120, the charge center keeps the battery(ies) topped off and supplies 120 VAC to the camper outlets (if there are any). It also rectifies some of the voltage down to 12 VDC for the lights and other 12V appliances.

As far as the heat goes, I can't help much. I would try checking the thermocouple, tho, as has been mentioned. My heat problem was a gas problem to the whole coach - my gas detector wasn't working correctly and opening the valve. But since your stove works, that shouldn't be it.

I lived in my motorhome, a 34' Pace Arrow, for 2 years. Had to learn pretty quick how all that stuff worked.

Good luck!

Who needs a tent? My first trip ROS I slept in my Tahoe. Man did it suck. Somehow we were without two poles that should have been in the tent box but were'nt there. Road into town around 11:00 and found two poles along the road. :naughty: Ended up ductapeing the whole mess together for the next night. It worked but sure did look stupid :naughty:

YMMV

Whats this stand for?

The box under the seat is the breaker box and charge control center for the camper. The battery should go in a recess designed for it somewhere on the outside of the camper. You'll know you have the right one because there should be battery cables there. (Imagine that!) When you are plugged into 120, the charge center keeps the battery(ies) topped off and supplies 120 VAC to the camper outlets (if there are any). It also rectifies some of the voltage down to 12 VDC for the lights and other 12V appliances.

As far as the heat goes, I can't help much. I would try checking the thermocouple, tho, as has been mentioned. My heat problem was a gas problem to the whole coach - my gas detector wasn't working correctly and opening the valve. But since your stove works, that shouldn't be it.

I lived in my motorhome, a 34' Pace Arrow, for 2 years. Had to learn pretty quick how all that stuff worked.

Good luck!

Well your right about it being the charge center. I kinda figured that one out. But for the life of me I cant find a single battery cable anywere on that sucker. There is no battery tray/box on the tounge or in any compartment on the camper. Strange. That charge center seems to be wired up and all but there is one white wire hanging loose that is not part of the power input lead. I am wondering if that could somehow be for the 12v but it is only like a 16 ga wire. Seems kinda small to hook to a battery.

Ok I took a picture

Here is the front of that unit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/CRF250X/P1010260.jpg

And here is the back of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/CRF250X/P1010261.jpg

Now that big black wire on the right is the power input cord. That white one right next to it goes to a 110v wall outlet I think.

That bundle of wires on the left must be the 12v wires for the lights. 2 of the whites and the red are wired and one white is just hanging loose not attached to anything. And there is also what looks like a copper ground wire there. So what does all that mean and were does a 12v battery hook up??? I have no idea.

There isn't a battery box anywere on this thing that I can see. Its my father in laws camper. He bought it for the kids to use. I am trying to put it back together a little. So far its turning out to be a big tent with a built in stove. Not much else works.

i'm guessing the "12v" comes from your vehicle via the pig tail....Or at least it did originally. The white wire I belive is a ground lead for the 12vdc.

Hmmm you got me thinking there. There is a flat 4 for the trailer wireing. But that flat 4 plugs into a plug in the tounge. And if memory serves me right that is a 6 prong connection. So maybe one of those extra 2 wires is the trailer power. I think there is 2 wires hanging loose going from the 6 plug to the flat 4 plug. Time to break out that test meter.