Interesting Oil Info

Got this out of a weekly lubrication letter we subscribe to from the Noria Corp. This will undoubtedly be the end of the mineral vs. synthetic debate.........fire away!

Book Bits: Do Synthetics Reduce Friction?

From "How to Select a Motor Oil and Filter for Your Car or Truck"

Some synthetics, such as diesters and polyol esters have natural lubricity. Other synthetics, such as PAOs, offer no enhanced antiwear or friction-reducing properties by themselves. However, formulated motor oil generally consists of a blend of base oils plus additives that collectively impart friction and wear-reducing performance properties. PAO is the most common synthetic fluid used in motor oil formulations. It is frequently blended with a small concentration of an ester, such as a diester, to reduce seal shrinkage, improve additive solubility and provide better lubricity. However, it is worth noting that a mineral oil can be blended with esters and antiwear additives to achieve similar results.

so...which oil should I buy then?

Nice try, baiting me out into the open ground to get shot at! The post was for educational value only.

Personally I use Mobil 1 Red Cap, I have a 24 month stash in my temperature, UV and humidity controlled oil cellar :naughty:

Personally I use Mobil 1 Red Cap, I have a 24 month stash in my temperature, UV and humidity controlled oil cellar :naughty:
I trust you are storing it on it's side, so the corks stay wet?

Whether it reduces friction or not, an ester based synthetic that carries the MA grade is certified functional in a wet clutch application. There may also be compatible ester oils that simply never persued the certification because their marketing does not target motorcycles, as in the case of Red Cap. (BTW, I know RC isn't an ester synthetic)