Con rods - are they really that fragile?

I run my XR650R on the road - supermoto'd. I have 15/45 gearing and ride it fast a lot of the time. I sometimes are near to top speed for a half a mile at a time (9/10ths of the rpm limit-no rev counter so don't know exactly) I change the oil every few hundred miles and genearlly look after the bike well.

People keep saying that the con rods are a weak point and that most people fit a carrillo rod. I thougt this bike was designed to win the Baja 1000, so wide open throttle across desert for mile after mile? surely a Honda con rod is up to it?

Be interested in your opinions guys?

Cheers

An idea(though off target ref.con rods!!!) would be perhaps to gear it similar to mine.....38 back sprocket to keep those rev`s down....you`ll still have sharp acceleration too Tim.....you`ll be pleasantly surprised.....but....erm...then you`ll be going faster but still reving at the same rate.....oh sod it...just keep her lit...ride it like you stole it!!! :naughty::D:D:D:D?:D:D??:D:D:naughty:

I would think that Hondas con. rod will live a decent life.........IMO.. :naughty:

And Yes the XR650R has a few wins in the Baja 1000 under its tank... :naughty:

Hasn't the XR650R won the Baja 1000 every year since it was first introduced by Honda back in 2000?

This is the first time I have ever heard anything about the connecting rod being a weak point. I think there is some kind of confusion here.

Yes I agree with what has been said as surely the rev limiter keeps it from over revving and apart from jetting and airbox mods I have not altered the motor from standard. It's just I have read of 3 guys who have had big end bearings and con rods fail through over revving. They did have some engine mods done like different cams and one guy had a big bore kit.

So I can keep her pinned then and not worry?