HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tnl

spanner wrench?

16 posts in this topic

Is there an alternative to spending $40 at the Yamaha shop for the steering spanner wrench that is called for in the owners manual? I don't care for using a punch to loosen/tightening it. Do spanner wrench's come in different styles and sizes? Or is that wrench specific to the 05 450f?

I've seen adjustable ones before, but mostly only in old shops & garage sales. You might be able to find some on google or froogle.com

You want this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41243

Works awesome on the steering stem nut, should work on the shock too if you have the shock out of the bike (otherwise no room to fit it), but I've never tried it on the shock personally. The only down side is you cannot connect it to a torque wrench so you've got to guess at the torque.

You won't hurt anything using a hammer and punch. I know it seems a little on the caveman side but most people have been doing it for as long as spanner nuts have been on bikes and it doesn't hurt anything. If you want to be a little more careful you can use a brass punch.

tnl, the punch method works fine, the spanner nut doesn't get much torque on it at all. After doing my bike last time, I bought the spanner kit sirthump posted and it works great. If not, large vise grips also work.

You guys with the punches, if you have ever used the correct wrench and you would never go back to the punch. It's so easy when you have the right tools.

I have used the hammer and punch method also. That nut does not have to be very tight. I think the manual says something like 7ft lbs.

You guys with the punches, if you have ever used the correct wrench and you would never go back to the punch. It's so easy when you have the right tools.

What's hard about two taps with a hammer and a punch twice a year?

For one the instructions for seating the bearings say that you tighten it up way past what is normal (I don't remember what the actual torque setting is), then back it off then tighten it again. This is much much easier to do with a wrench , no banging things back and forth with a hammer. The tool is under $10, there's no reason not to use it IMHO. :naughty:

personally,anything i can do with a hammer that has a 'special tool' is just all the more satisfying :D i've been a mechanic since a child working on my dad's race cars and the hammer is probably the most important tool a man can have. big ones ,small ones,soft ones ,hard ones, my wife enjoys the big hard one the best :naughty::naughty:

Spanner wrenches come in different styles, sizes and they even make universal spanner wrenches that fit a wide range of spanner nuts. How's that?