Mouse McCoy's Baja 1000 650R

Anyone else notice that in the 3rd picture where it says "stay off the clutch", there is no manual compression release. I wonder what the deal is with that? I think I've heard a bigger cam does away with the auto decompressor but what about the manual?

I like that oil line level check. That's pretty friggin cool. I wonder what it's made of??

It's super easy and inexpensive to make this site tube system yourself. Just find your local hydraulic shop or order two male elbow fittings from a hydraulic company such as Parker. You can order Parker and other brands of fittings from many online places such as McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com), www.grainger.com, etc.

You can use right angle elbow fittings with 1/8 NPT on one end and a compression fitting on the other end. Then drill and tap the frame for 1/8 NPT and screw in the fittings. Then connect teflon tube between the compression fittings.

Drill slowly and coat the drill bit with grease which will help catch any filings. You can also grease the tap as well, but take your time and you'll be done before you know it. It's a nice mod and inexpensive if you can do it yourself.

It's super easy and inexpensive to make this site tube system yourself. Just find your local hydraulic shop or order two male elbow fittings from a hydraulic company such as Parker. You can order Parker and other brands of fittings from many online places such as McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com), www.grainger.com, etc.

You can use right angle elbow fittings with 1/8 NPT on one end and a compression fitting on the other end. Then drill and tap the frame for 1/8 NPT and screw in the fittings. Then connect teflon tube between the compression fittings.

Drill slowly and coat the drill bit with grease which will help catch any filings. You can also grease the tap as well, but take your time and you'll be done before you know it. It's a nice mod and inexpensive if you can do it yourself.

Man i love this site!! Thanks!!! :naughty:

Anyone else notice that in the 3rd picture where it says "stay off the clutch", there is no manual compression release. I wonder what the deal is with that? I think I've heard a bigger cam does away with the auto decompressor but what about the manual?

it looks to me like he used the compression release off the older model XRs. it's a smallish lever that is positioned under the handlebar.

i'm assuming this is to make changing the clutch perch faster in the event of waddage.

I can see where to make the tap for the top of the sight gauge but not the bottom. Is it simply at the bottem of the steering stem?

You just want the lower fitting somewhere at or below the minimum oil level of your dipstick. There's no right or wrong location as long as you make sure there are no clearance issues with your fittings. The oil level is inside your frame will always correlate to the same level in the tube. You simply mark the high & low levels on your tubing or on the frame next to your tubing in relation to the levels on your dipstick and then you'll easily be able to check your oil level at a glance.

Site tubes are commonly used for various applications when you want a simple and accurate way for checking fluid levels. Even the fuel tanks in my trailers have site tubes on them for gauges. The Baja Designs kit is not specially made for motorcycles only. It's simply repackaged fittings and tubing which you can buy through various sources as already listed.

I think if it comes with templates, bits, and everything you need to install it in one package. With the possiblity of support from the company when doing it yourself, it may not be that bad.

Though I will probably try to do it myself when I have the time.