HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
creepy

99 WR400 compression reading?

4 posts in this topic

Anyone know what this bike is supposed to show for compression? Ive got an erratic idle on a WR400 thats supposed to have been rebuilt by the previous owner. Im only seeing 100psi cold, which sounds low for 12.5:1

Ive got an 'owners service manual' which doesnt list a compression spec.. is this different from a shop manual?

TY in advance guys =)

:naughty:

A shop manual will have what you want. Mine is at home right now. If no one posts back with the comp., I'll do it when I get home. I can't remember if I have even looked at what it is on this bike ( I have a '99 400 as well), but my old XR200R was around 140 or 160 psi.

OK, got the manual in hand. I quote: "Yamaha does not provide a required compression specification for this engine, however, an engine of this design typically has 170-180 psi (1195-1265 kPa) compression when broken in properly." It goes on to say that one should take periodic readings to have something to compare to should you actually have a low reading.

yup that sounds more like it. Ill check my valves first, otherwise it sounds like the previous owner goofed something