Clanking Noise on a 05 WR450

I have a 2005 WR450 and it is making this noise that I can't figure out where it is coming from. When I am at low rpm and give it gas there is a clanking noise. It doesn't make that noise at higher RPM. I don't think it is the steering head because I would notice the shaking. I tightened the chain thinking it may be chain slap but that wasn't it. The bike runs great and has less than 300 miles on it so I don't think it is from the motor. Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like chain slap to me too. Do a search on this forum for "chain slap". There is a mod you can do by putting silicone or a piece of inner tube between your chain glide and swing-arm. The slap can be more than just annoying--it can actually cause damage to your aluminum swing-arm over time. Like I said--search for past threads, there has been quite a lot of discussion about this topic, and there are good suggestions on how to fix it. I did the silicon under the chain glide on my '04, and the slap is history.

So it sounds to me like the silicone or innertube is like a spacer to have the plastic chain guard stand out more from the swingarm to intercept the chain sooner thus eliminating slap?

Don't know how well I worded that but if it's correct, I'd sure like to see some photos of the modification. I want to remedy this problem too.

Thanks.

It's probably the chain slider. I checked mine and was loose even though the bolts were tight. What happens is the loose slider lets dirt get under the slider and then the constant banging of the chain on the slider lets the dirt act as an abrasive on the swingarm. I took mine apart on sat. and I had noticable wear on the swingarm with only 150 miles on the bike. Its pretty easy to fix. I just lifted the slider and put a fat bead of silicone under the slider then I set it back in place and inserted the bolts loosely. I wiped the excess silicone off the swingarm and let it dry for a couple of hours. I then tightened the bolts down. The slider is tight now so it shouldn't wear the swingarm.

Joe

I have a 2005 WR450 and it is making this noise that I can't figure out where it is coming from. When I am at low rpm and give it gas there is a clanking noise. It doesn't make that noise at higher RPM.

Take off your air box cover and start your bike. Listen, with your ear near the airbox at low and high rpm. If that is the noise you have been hearing, only louder, that is normal. If it is the same noise, but has only appeared recently, check the joint between your carb and airbox to make sure the boot is on all the way around (esp. between boot and pipe). Good luck!

I like the idea of the silicone method. One question though......do you silicone both the upper and lower part of the swingarm or just the upper? I haven't looked closely yet but I believe the chain glide curls around to the underside of the swingarm too, doesn't it?

Have u recently installed a skid plate? After I put mine on I thought my bike was disentegrating from the noise I was hearing. It was just the engine noise being funneled upward where I could hear it. W/O skid plate-pretty quiet :naughty:

I like the idea of the silicone method. One question though......do you silicone both the upper and lower part of the swingarm or just the upper? I haven't looked closely yet but I believe the chain glide curls around to the underside of the swingarm too, doesn't it?

The consensus from when I was looking into this (on Thumpertalk) was to do the top only, the bottom doesn't need it. Do some searches, and you'll get pictures and everything of how some of the guys did theirs. I did mine on the top of the swing arm only, and no more chain slap.