Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamestoo

Uncorking a pig in the UK

10 posts in this topic

Hi after a few rides on my new pig 02 XR650R 268miles from new i'm now ready to let it breath as it should :naughty:

couple of quick questions regarding the correct jets to order re myriding altitude i plan to generally ride my pig beteen 0Ft above sea level and up to an altitude of approx 1750ft above sea level

i'm planning on keeping the standard carb for the time being and changing the manifold rubber and changing the main jet size. What are peoples thoughts on optmum size for my proposed riding altitude? the fuel i run it on is Premium Unleaded here in the UK 97 RON (octane) the Jet sizes i'm thinking of are 170, 172 or 175 depending on altitude. This is where i havnt really got a clue!

i'm also thinking of a new pilot jet change from a stock 65s to a 68s

i will also take the rubber out of the airbox ditch the spark screen and replace it with a high flow framed type filter such as a k&N

finally i am probably going to get a 2" hole saw and remove the stock muffler tip from the silencer insert

please can i have peoples thoughts

cheers James

I would start out with the 175...........TMO....... :naughty:

Next the rubber boot on the airbox there is a plastic plug to remove also..

Have been to the pig pen site...

enjoy that BRP. .... :naughty:

I would also recommend you go with the 68s pilot jet as well. It will start easier and run cooler once you uncork it. Get the HRC tip for the exhaust since it also breaths better than the hole saw version.

Things to do with your XR650R to make it run nice/be quick/and generally sorted!

Do the following and you will be happy with your Big Red Pig

175 main 68s pilot jet. Don't take the backfire screen out. Stick with stock air filters just clean them regularly. Drill the airbox side panel with holes. Fit a Iridium spark plug. Completely uncork it and use the HRC exhaust muffler. Adjust throttle cable free play and decompressor cable free play. Check / adjust valve clearances. Change oil and filter and clean downtube gauze filter. Threadlock kickstart and foot peg bolts. Check tightness of bolts all over the bike. Fit a higher pressure radiator cap.

For stuff try John at Macmoto www.macmoto.com

Hope this helps!

If you are near me I would gladly help you! I am in the East Midlands (UK of course) :naughty:

Things to do with your XR650R to make it run nice/be quick/and generally sorted!

Do the following and you will be happy with your Big Red Pig

175 main 68s pilot jet. Don't take the backfire screen out. Stick with stock air filters just clean them regularly. Drill the airbox side panel with holes. Fit a Iridium spark plug. Completely uncork it and use the HRC exhaust muffler. Adjust throttle cable free play and decompressor cable free play. Check / adjust valve clearances. Change oil and filter and clean downtube gauze filter. Threadlock kickstart and foot peg bolts. Check tightness of bolts all over the bike. Fit a higher pressure radiator cap.

Hope this helps!

If you are near me I would gladly help you! I am in the East Midlands (UK of course) :D

AHHHHH! :naughty: Tim, why did you have to put up this link to Macmoto? So many wonderful things! :naughty:

I would stray from the 175 main jet as I think it'll be too rich for you. I'm at sea-level and find the 172 main provides a crisper throttle response, better hot starts and the perfect color plug. I think a 175 is fine for more wide open throttle aplications...I.E. dunes, baja.

Try a 172 first then as per TimBrp the jets are very cheap to buy and you can change them without removing the carb. If you buy some right angled screwdrivers you can remove the float bowl in situe. Or loosen the clips round the inlet & outlet of the carb and rotate it for easy access.

Yes macmoto has lots of XR goodies, John is knowledgeable too. Tell him Tim recommended you :naughty:

Regarding the XR650R SM on their home page, what's the horizontle mounted blue cannister for that's pictured just above the countershaft sprocket and in front of the verticle frame spar? And what's that shiney round thing near the valve cover / radiator shoud / fuel tank juction?

In regards to the stock bike, what's that round cannister sitting just aft of the rear mud flap?

Shiny round thing looks like you mean the tax disc. Blue thing looks like a Red Bull can, don't know what it's for though unless it's a catch can for the breathers?

Over here you pay tax each year for vehicles and to prove you have paid it you have to display a disc with the date it expires on it.