HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNellis

Airbox Question

6 posts in this topic

I know this is a dumb question but I can't find the detail I need in the shop manual. Is my '00 426 suppose to have a lid that goes on the airbox? I'm putting the bike back together and can not find an airbox top but there are two holes with threads that look like something should bolt there. The parts fiche does not show a top either and I don't recall taking one off. It seems kinda strange that the seat is the only thing covering the top of the airbox.

Thanks

the "YZ" does NOT have a lid. The "WR" DOES have a lid.
...and otherwise, the two are the same. Something you might want to do...

Take a look at an '03 or later YZF airbox. The opening at the top is much larger (it wasn't built to have a lid on it). If you cut yours open to look more like an '03, you won't gain any performance, but you will be able to put an fresh oiled filter in it without rubbing it all over the inside of the box. My 450 was so much easier to do than my '01 250F that I modded the 250 to more or less match.

Thanks guys, I thought I was losing my mind....and my wife thought so too. I had her out in the garage the other night looking for that thing for almost an hour the other night.

'preciate it.

greyracer, how much did you cut off the top of the box? I'm thinking of doing that to mine as well, getting the filter in is a real PITA, but I'm pretty good at it now.

greyracer, how much did you cut off the top of the box? I'm thinking of doing that to mine as well, getting the filter in is a real PITA, but I'm pretty good at it now.
I left the forward edge pretty much alone. I cut the sides back even with the subframe rails, and the rear overhang I cut about in half. Makes it much simpler.
....and my wife thought (I was losing my mind) too.
That's the price we pay... :naughty: