Biggest rookie question ever? Air filter

Hey everyone. I was wondering what the best way to clean the stock/factory air filter is. Do I need any special solevents?

Also, what is a good aftermarket air filter? Is No-Toil anygood?

Thanks!

I put on the nitrile gloves and march to the sacred alter of cleanliness (kitchen sink) and spray it down with simple green and rinse from the inside out. Then I wash out the filter again with dish soap and water. Squeeze dry and sit it on a milk crate in the sun to dry. Re-lube with foam filter oil when dry. Grease the mating surface where the filter meets the airbox. Re-assemble, fire up and wheelie down the driveway.

Hey everyone. I was wondering what the best way to clean the stock/factory air filter is. Do I need any special solevents?

Also, what is a good aftermarket air filter? Is No-Toil anygood?

Thanks!

not a rookie question - everyone has their own ways - here is what works for me

Get some surgeon gloves - no powder

I clean filter with Kerosene in a cleaning bucket- (never use gas) then rinse out with warm water - make sure wife does not catch me in kitchen....smelly job

Kerosene has never eaten or dissolved the glue on the filters 1999-2003 for yamaha

let it completely dry - I have 2 filters that I rotate

I use belray filter oil with no issues

I currently use Twin Air Powerfilters/flame retardant and/or WhiteBros or stock yamaha filters

I never use grease - to messy not needed unless you are planning on submarining

I hate No toil - never worked right for me - others have liked them :naughty:

Pc-racing make a self adhesive seal for inside the airbox where the filter meets the intake(no need for grease)no mess! :naughty:

Moose has a good one too although I still use a little grease for my insurance policy

Yep i understand where you coming from with the grease,but i can see a nice indent all the way round the seal from the filter cage,i also use a vacume cleaner to clean the filter when dry before oiling,it works well at getting any small parts out of the filter(saves scraping at it!) :naughty:

I run a Twin Air with Twin Air Filter Oil. For clean up, nothing beats dish soap and hot water, though Simple Green does tend to speed up the process. As far as greasing the seal goes, use a Lithium based grease like the manual says and you'll be good to go...SC

I have used the ready filter and it worked well :D they were as described installed quick after a second of waiting for it to bounce back after being vacuumed packed oiled perfect no problems that I could see I used them one time in the desert and once in Steck park sand dunes my only concern was where it met the airbox I did the old trick with grease and then after about 10 minutes of riding I checked the grease line to see if anything had pass through I also put a small amount of grease I mean a small amount in right at the base of the intake boot on the inside of the airbox to see if anything went through the filter it would have stuck to the oil on the inside of the boot and it was clean :naughty: for the first use of the product it ran fine, worked well and was very simple to install but I still sometimes go back to the regular twin air filter just for craps and giggles used to it after all these years and it is just me but I sometimes enjoyed cleaning the air filter :naughty:

I used to use gasoline, then everyone said to avoid it. Breaks down glue on the filter and fumes are dangerous.

So, I began washing in really hot water and dish soap.

After 2-1/2 years and several Twin Airs with PJ1 oil, I realized in December that my filters weren't getting clean. They still had a brown ooze coming out of them, and the foam was dark brown.

Washed one in gasoline again, and it looked like new. Clean as a whistle. Bike also started running very lean, which cost me a month or so getting jetting sorted out again. That's how clogged the filters were. Non-solvent cleaners just don't get the PJ1 out.

So, I'm back to gasoline. To hell with the glue. I'll replace the filter more often. I'm just not putting a dirty filter back in my airbox.

Maybe I'll try the kerosene thing. That sounds workable.

I used to use gasoline, then everyone said to avoid it. Breaks down glue on the filter and fumes are dangerous.

So, I began washing in really hot water and dish soap.

After 2-1/2 years and several Twin Airs with PJ1 oil, I realized in December that my filters weren't getting clean. They still had a brown ooze coming out of them, and the foam was dark brown.

Washed one in gasoline again, and it looked like new. Clean as a whistle. Bike also started running very lean, which cost me a month or so getting jetting sorted out again. That's how clogged the filters were. Non-solvent cleaners just don't get the PJ1 out.

So, I'm back to gasoline. To hell with the glue. I'll replace the filter more often. I'm just not putting a dirty filter back in my airbox.

Maybe I'll try the kerosene thing. That sounds workable.

Dan, Kero will clean the filters really good - not as good as Gas -but will not eat the glue....make sure you rinse out with hot/warm water and it will look almost as good as new :naughty:

Dan, Kero will clean the filters really good - not as good as Gas -but will not eat the glue....make sure you rinse out with hot/warm water and it will look almost as good as new :naughty:

Thanks. What part of Ga y'all from? I lived in Sandy Springs, Roswell, and Marietta for a while as a kid in the late '60's.