HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shuffler

Blown rear shock - fix, replace, or upgrade?

9 posts in this topic

My rear shock is blown on my '01 YZ426. Should I get the cylinder fixed, get an OEM replacement, or upgrade to something better/stronger?

Any recommendations? :naughty:

I'm taking my YZs to Neil Horse in Denver to get revalved and refurbed. He can fix anything. He revalved my XRs shock and its super smooth. All for a very very reasonable price.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=261354

I have his phone number at home if you cannot find it with those links.

...follow these links to find him. Seriously, he's good enough for me to drive from Montrose to Denver to have him do my work. :naughty:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115495&parentpage=3&highlight=aloop

what's a rough estimate on cost to do the whole thing...i.e. revalve the shock and help me get my sag & compression/rebound dialed in? I'm in Longmont and hate driving to Denver, but this seems worth it if the price is right...

My rear shock is blown on my '01 YZ426. Should I get the cylinder fixed, get an OEM replacement, or upgrade to something better/stronger?

Any recommendations? :naughty:

I would modify that thing heavily. Maybe it could be a show on 'Monster's Garage' except you could call it 'Shuffler's Garage'.

You could get a crew of Hells Angel types to scrounge thru a junk yard and pull the springs out of a '62 Nova. They could retrofit them to work on your bike. Put the whole show on The Discovery Channel. I'd watch it.

Just my $0.025.

I would modify that thing heavily. Maybe it could be a show on 'Monster's Garage' except you could call it 'Shuffler's Garage'.

You could get a crew of Hells Angel types to scrounge thru a junk yard and pull the springs out of a '62 Nova. They could retrofit them to work on your bike. Put the whole show on The Discovery Channel. I'd watch it.

Just my $0.025.

:naughty:

thanks, but this is no time for such Tom Foolery...

Believe it or not he quoted me 110 for refurbish which includes new seals and such.....160 for revalve and whole shebang. Which is a helluva price.

But, he may tell you something different since your boinger is broke :naughty:

It would be worth the drive and he can ship it back to you if need be.

Define "blown" for us.

No compression/rebound damping at all....the unit just knocks on spring action. Oil all over the piston/seal, etc. AFAIK the gas cylinder is okay, but I don't know how to check...

Another TTer offered to sell me a used unit in good condition for $125, so maybe I go with that short-term, then get this one re-worked to keep on hand as a spare.

Another TTer offered to sell me a used unit in good condition for $125, so maybe I go with that short-term, then get this one re-worked to keep on hand as a spare.

That sounds like a plan. Actually, you might want to get yours tricked out and keep the other as the spare. :naughty: