noisey engine

my 01 426 engine got real noisey after running some hard laps.I dissasembled the top end and the gear box,the only thing i found was the clutch basket springs which absorb the shock where broken and coming through the basket.so I figured that was the noise and put the machine back together with new basket and piston and rings.Well its still making the same noise. This noise only occurs at idle as I twist the throttle it goes away.

When I bought my 01 426 I went to go riding with it for the first time I started it up and heard a noise at idle and deceleration. Needless to say I didn't ride it and took it staight to an mechanic. He told me there three nuts behind the clutch side case cover that are known to work loose on these motors. I took it home removed the case cover and low and behold all three nuts were finger tight. one is behind the clutch basket another is on the primary gear and the last one is near the water pump. All have bending lock washers on them. I put it back together and no more noise.. :naughty:) hope that helps!!

Grab your manual, remove the timing chain tensioner and check it out.....It would be one place to look and it is only two bolts..... Mine whent bad and made some terrible noise at idle...

What was bad about your timing chain adjuster?? The only thing in there is a piston and threaded rod along with a spring and a collar. They are all steel pieces. Did something break?

When I bought my 01 426 I went to go riding with it for the first time I started it up and heard a noise at idle and deceleration. Needless to say I didn't ride it and took it staight to an mechanic. He told me there three nuts behind the clutch side case cover that are known to work loose on these motors. I took it home removed the case cover and low and behold all three nuts were finger tight. one is behind the clutch basket another is on the primary gear and the last one is near the water pump. All have bending lock washers on them. I put it back together and no more noise.. :naughty:) hope that helps!!

Good call. My primary gear nut was loose. No more noise. :naughty:

• 2 weeks later...

brucer7,

Dude... that is a great piece of advice. I've been chasing the cause of my engine noise for some time... my only problem now is that I'm at work (on a break) and I can't get to my garage to check what you've recommended!

Cough... cough... hmm... perhaps I have to leave due to "illness" :naughty:

P.S. I know they are noisey engines... but it seems that something in mine got "noisier" some time ago.