My 1st oil change with my new YZ426

Did the 1st oil change on my yr 2000 426, and wow! The magnetic drain plug was covered in graphite like metal shavings. The oil had a metallic look to it. I had heard that Yamaha YZ do wear more then others, but for a used bike with many miles under its belt I did not expect to see such wear. Is this common?

I put fully synthetic in. It did have BelRay semi-synthetic in before. I couldn't find the semi kind at my Kragens or Pep-Boys, so I put in Mobil 1, fully synthetic. The sheit is expensive. :naughty:

Does the bike run okay with regular dino oil?

YZF's have a transmission and clutch thrashing around in the engine oil. This accounts for well over 90% of the iron you found on your magnet.

I run Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40. I pay $7/quart, and change my oil every 10 hours or more often depending on conditions. I don't see this as a particularly daunting expense, compared to the cost of overhauling an engine.

Dino oil that meets API SG or SH, or JASO MA, and is NOT energy conserving can be used, but there are drawbacks to using a non-synthetic multigrade. Petroleum base oils require chemical modification for the thinner base oil to stay thick enough at higher temperatures to be usable. The chemicals used to accomplish this are somewhat fragile, and get torn up when used in an engine with a transmission in the mix. Your 10w-40 will turn into a 7w-20 in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Good modern synthetic base oils behave a lot like multigrades without being modified, and need less treatment because of it. As a result, they take longer to break down, and can't be broken down as far as dino oils. In the long run, they end up being cheaper.

Your YZF engine is a technical masterpiece. Don't be cheap with its maintenance.

Good modern synthetic base oils behave a lot like multigrades without being modified, and need less treatment because of it. As a result, they take longer to break down, and can't be broken down as far as dino oils. In the long run, they end up being cheaper.

Your YZF engine is a technical masterpiece. Don't be cheap with its maintenance.

Finally there is someone who actually knows something about oil. :naughty: