Cam mod...Half ring dropped in the engine

:naughty::naughty:

I did it. I read I had to take extra care when taking off the cam cap to prevent the half ring from falling in the engine. But I think it didn't register well enough. Anyway, I'm in the process of finishing the YZ450 cam mod on my WR, and the F***g half ring dropped in the case.

I'm sure it must of happened to some of you. I hope I'm not alone .

I can't see the half ring in the engine.

Simple questions:

How the hell did you get it out without dismantling the engine ?

I tried to fish it out with a magnet, but so far no success. Is this half ring magnetic ?

Any other suggestions? I considered laying on a rail track and waiting for a train to come, but may be there is a way to get this half moon piece without going to such extrem ?

Thanks

If you have no luck with the fishing i would take the engine out and shake it upside down.. It only takes 10 min to take it out at the point where you are now.

Good luck.. :naughty:

u could also try the device that fishes non magnetic parts out(its like the ma gnetic wand thing only its got little fingers that come out and grab........i got mine at the dollar store :naughty: or put a dab of something sticky like silicone on the end of your magnet maybe it will stick to it and you can bring it up.......

next time put a rag in the timing chain hole :naughty:

Just take the flywheel off. It wont take that long, and you will have the snap-ring in your hands quicker than trying to find a short cut. The snap-ring could be stuck to the magnet on the flywheel, and thats why you cant get it out with your magnet.

Been there done that! I got mine out with a magnet. It kept grabbing the timing chain, but eventually it grabbed the ring.

Just use a magnet, it takes time but you can get it. If not, one of the little grabber tools works too. Just take your time and (try to) be patient, you'll get it out. If I can do it, anyone can! (I have no patience at all)

Just take the flywheel off. It wont take that long, and you will have the snap-ring in your hands quicker than trying to find a short cut. The snap-ring could be stuck to the magnet on the flywheel, and thats why you cant get it out with your magnet.
It's the simplest, easiest way.

:naughty:

I took off the flywheel and there was no f***g snap ring :naughty: .

I took the head and the barrel off and did a very deep search with no result. The ignition internals are apart, the chain is off and no sign of it. I suppose the snap ring just flew out when I took off the cam caps.

I ordered a new one, meantime I'll keep looking for it :naughty: .

Thanks for all the infos.

Note to self: Do not buy a Yamaha 450 from anybody in Quebec!!!

That's too funny! :naughty:

What ever you do, don't assume it's not in there, or your planetary gears will find it for you!

I took off the flywheel and there was no f***g snap ring :naughty: .

I took the head and the barrel off and did a very deep search with no result. The ignition internals are apart, the chain is off and no sign of it. I suppose the snap ring just flew out when I took off the cam caps.

I ordered a new one, meantime I'll keep looking for it :naughty: .

Thanks for all the infos.

Make sure your magnet is nice and strong. Fish around now that you've got more room. You may have to take off the engine and roll it around upside down.

I know where you are coming from... I did the exact same thing on Saturday while putting a Hot-Cam into my bike. (Just waiting for the shims to finish the job)

I managed to fish it out with magnet and a piece of wire...

If you are using a magnet, tape it nice and strong to what ever you are attaching it to, as you don't want to start fishing for a magnet as well...

Good luck

What ever you do, don't assume it's not in there, or your planetary gears will find it for you!

Exactly where within a YZF would there be a planetary gear set?

I was wondering the same thing grayracer...

I'm lucky, mine is a 426 :naughty: .

That's too funny! :D

Planetary gears ????

I took out the flywheel, the magneto plate, the chain guides, the cylinder, the head. The whole side of the engine is apart and still no clip! I used a magnet in all the oil cavities. I bet my dog ate the damn thing, I'm sure because it (the dog) keeps starring at me with a funny look :naughty: .

I got mine out with my Shop Vac. Sucked it right out.

Exactly where within a YZF would there be a planetary gear set?

Primary drive gear, balancer drive gear and balancer driven gear. Your right, they are not planetary. Poor term to use.

Doesnt the 2 wheel drive model have planetary gears he he he :naughty: ?????? :naughty: