HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moondogger

Zip Ty Fuel Screw Fell Out

7 posts in this topic

Today was my 3rd ride on my '05 WR450 after I installed the Zip Ty fuel screw. I noticed during the ride there was more than usual backfiring on deceleration, erratic idle, and hard starting. After inspecting the bike I noticed the fuel screw had fallen out.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

What should I do now?

do a search on the ZIP TY fuel screw. I remember last week or two a few guys

mention they had the same problem. No problem with mine 200 miles and counting Good luck

Today was my 3rd ride on my '05 WR450 after I installed the Zip Ty fuel screw. I noticed during the ride there was more than usual backfiring on deceleration, erratic idle, and hard starting. After inspecting the bike I noticed the fuel screw had fallen out.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

What should I do now?

Did you make sure the spring and oring from the stock fuel screw were attached to the Zip Ty? I have had mine on for 2 years no problem -

Repurchase the screw, spring and oring (the oring goes on the top )- install to full tight - back out 1.5 turns to start -

Don't forget the washer. Also be careful when installing the Zip Ty screw on the '05 WR450. I removed the aluminum plug from the float bowl after removing the bowl, a gentle tap on a small diameter punch will pop it out. Noticed the Zip Ty screw (or stock screw) will not pass through the hole in the bowl, the screw's threads are slightly larger in diameter than the hole. I filed the hole with a round swiss pattern file until the screw passed through. If the screw is forced through the hole the threads of the screw may get damaged and will damage the threads in the carb body. This could be the reason some are having trouble with it falling out. The o-ring is first (against the carb body), washer next, spring last. It can be difficult to get all 3 on the screw and then in the body while the carb is mounted on the bike. I found it easier to install it with the carb removed. I also replaced the butter soft phillips head float bowl screws with allen heads. I believe '04 and '03 don't have the aluminum plug and smaller diameter hole.

The Zip Ty screw falling out is actually quite common. I ended up going with a SCR and it has a small O-ring down on the base of the shaft that adds some drag on the screw as it threads in to keep it from backing out. It also acts as a seal when things get nasty and keeps the screw from sticking inside.

Stretch the spring a little bit before putting in back in. This will put more tension on the screw.