HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xrracerr

bigtime overheating xr600r please help

21 posts in this topic

i have 1987 xr600r that is heating red :naughty: pipes 30sec after started anybody have an idea :naughty:

the bike has stock jets and aftermarket exhaust air filter and some roost boost and new ricky stator if i put bigger jets then it heats up even more and its got oil at least at the dipstik what is the easyest way to check the timing? the bike is very easy to start and it starts only if i dont pull the throtel

sounds like the timing take out plug and side cover plug look for the timing mark with a screw driver in spark plug hole move the timing mark to tdc slowly watch screw driver and see if it is up all the way with the piston movement

check also for a vacuum leak, particularly around the intake manifold / carb junctions

thats a good point. spray something flammable around the intake manifold and carb and if the idle goes up you have a leak.

it dosent seem like to much air is bad when i put bigger jets it heats up even more roost boost is some thing for the spark and its not made to make the exhaust red exhaust heats red even whith out the rooster

xrracerr, I had the same problem with my 86 XL600R....First you need to get a temperature dip stick to monitor the oil temp....I burnt up 2 stators and a pickup coil before I learned....I had drilled the muffler and it seems that doing that leaned out the fuel mixture....I rejetted to 132 main and 128 secondary with K&N neddles clipped in the 4th slot from the top and the bike hasn't run over 250 deg since....If you want to simulate a rich mixture to see if rejetting is needed, try running with the choke on. This will richen the fuel mixture and give you some idea. If it helps the heating problem then you need to rejet before you start cooking parts....