HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zooboy

Starter on 03 XR65L

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

This might be a stupid question. Can any body post any info about the life of the electric starter? How hard is it to replace, and is there a way to install a back up kick starter?

Thanks,

Joe

I haven't heard of a starter failing, and I'm tapped into most of the sites where the owners of the BRP -L congregate.

I think it would be fairly easy to replace.

You can install the bits from an XR600R and have yourself a kickstarter, but it does require splitting the cases- one of the tranny shafts gets replaced. If you had to do all that, might as well install a whole XR600 tranny and get rid of the killer 1-2 gap!

An important bit of info- the most likely reason the pig won't start on the trail is damage to all those safety interlocks- clutch, sidestand, neutral.

If the bike won't start, run, or stay running, take the 2 wires going to the clutch switch, short 'em together and connect 'em to ground. This bypasses all the safeties.

Dave

Xr650L starter replacement: A five minute job! Easy easy!!

My 1995 650L still has it's original starter.. I took out the kickstand kill contraption and jumped the wires inside the plug back in '96. I kept the neutral and the clutch safety's though.

If you're going to install the kick-starter, you may as well put in a manual compression release lever too (along with the XR600R's better gear set.) It's only money :naughty:

How certain are you that the center case has to be replaced? When I had mine apart, there appears to be a nice machined spot in the right half case for the kickstarter shaft. I couldn't see anything that indicated this case would need to be replaced.

I believe the cases on the XR were changed in '88. I'm kinda hoping that any XR600 parts from '88-on would enable a kickstarter in the XRL.

Any first hand experience would certainly be appreciated.

-Jeff-

Center case doesn't need to be replaced, but 1 tranny shaft and the right-side cover get replaced. The tranny shaft is what requires the case split. I jotted down all the info from a fellow who did it on a dommie- A UK XR650L variant known as a dominator. I'll see if I can wrassle the info off my home machine- after it gets unpacked.

Dave