Boost XR650L battery

I finally replaced the battery in my 1995 XR650L in 2004.. Considering that the bike was built in 1994, the battery was at least 10 years old. I now use the battery as a back-up for one of my camera's.

I'd charge the battery first and see if it holds. The alternator in the 650L is about 190 watts, and should charge the battery quickly. I never had the battery die in my 650L...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!! My 650L battery is too low to start the bike after winter storage. Is it better to take it off and charge or can I boost it with my car's battery? Will the alternator be able to charge it full?

thanks, Martin

I've used a 12V charger to start mine, BUT you probably might want to think about replacing it. I wouldn;t use a car battery to do it.

oh... and take your battery off and inside next year! :naughty:

There is no problem starting anything with a 12V battery with a car battery. The only problem would be starting something with a battery of more voltage than it should be.

Dave (electrical engineer)

I'm electrician too! Dave is right! The car battery can deliver more amps but will only deliver what is needed by the starter! amps=volts/resistance! Volts and resistance are the same so amps will be the same!

I'm electrician too! Dave is right! The car battery can deliver more amps but will only deliver what is needed by the starter! amps=volts/resistance! Volts and resistance are the same so amps will be the same!

Well I'm not an Electrician or an Engineer (although I do play one on TV!) but I would have thought that it would fry CDI or sumpin' I don't know nuthin bout no resterance!! :naughty: