HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wheels up

650 L Stage 1 hotcam installed !!!!

12 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I just installed a Stage 1 hotcam in my 04 Xr 650 L. I must say it is NIGHT AND DAY. The thing rips now. Before it was a low rpm torque moster and loved to be short shifted a little out through the gears with decent top end charge. Now the thing has a TON of midrange-topend power where it never did. I LOVE IT. Also, I can honestly say that I never lost ANY low end torque. It still has the low end hit it always did. It really hauls hard through the gears.

VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE POWER.

Anyone that has a XR 650 L and is looking for more power then I suggest a Stage 1 cam or equivalent.

I already had a Yoshimura pipe, 165 main jet, Uni filter, Dynojet spring and needle, 5/32 holes drilled, De-smog, De-snork.

15-48 gearing and it will pull 98-100 mph easy with a 120/100 tire.

Thanks to those who let me in on the info.

Mike

Where did you order it from? You got me to thinking now :naughty: . I would love more power out if my 650L

Thats what I wanted to hear!!!

How does the starter crank with the new cam? The Hotcam doesn't use an auto decompresser right?

Who installed

how much

where to buy ? (part #)

other mods needed to install (valve seals or springs,carb jetting?)

cost or time to install

I think these questions would be great to know

thanks

Honda shop installed. Bought the cam from them. It is a drop in cam with no changes needed. It was 200 canadian.

Thats what I wanted to hear!!!

How does the starter crank with the new cam? The Hotcam doesn't use an auto decompresser right?

No de-comp. Starts better than it did hot and cold.

I am loving this new camshaft. I drove it on road for the last few days and it is a monster in around town.

I installed mine last night and just put 40 miles on it.

It took me around 4 four hours,4 beers and 3 pieces of pizza. Plus, my 3 year old son was helping me. I think I could do it in a couple of hours,easy,with no distractions.

Riding impressions:

Sorry, no 4th and 5th gear wheelies.

It does start easier , for sure.(The auto decompession is gone.)

It has less engine braking. I like that.

Crisper throttle response and it seems to rev faster.Another plus.

No loss of low end and it definately pulls harder in mid range and top end.

Bottom line:

After you do the all the usual mods and you still want a little more, the Hotcams is worth the $139, if you do the labor yourself.Just don't expect it to turn your 650L into a fire breathing wheelie monster.

It retrospect, it would have not been too much trouble to put a higher compression piston in at the same time.For you guys that are paying someone to do this mod, you might consider doing that at the same time.

My bike is set up as follows:Stage 1 Hotcam,de-smogged,UNI air filter,FMF muffler,165 main,58 pilot,slide drilled to 5/32,13/45 gearing.

I have one new in box that never got put in before I got my 650R. Hot Cams PN 1004-1 ( I think it is for the 650L and/or 600R) Anyone know for sure on that one, I'm being too lazy to look it up right now. You understand right?

Anyway, if you think it will make your bike run better, I'll send it to you US postal service for $115 delivered.

I will add that I have done the WHite Bros cam and 11-1 piston on a 650L and liked the results. I also put a stage 1 in my 650R with a little improvement there as well. It's not the O my gosh results we all hope for but more power is more power. I'll take what I can get.

I have one new in box that never got put in before I got my 650R. Hot Cams PN 1004-1 ( I think it is for the 650L and/or 600R) Anyone know for sure on that one, I'm being too lazy to look it up right now.

That is correct on the part numbers. Sounds like a good deal to me.