01 and 02 426 differences

I'm looking at an 01 and an 02 YZ426. I can't tell the differences between them as they have aftermarker stickers. But I did write down the chassis numbers.

1st: JYACJ01C81A016***

2nd: JYACJ01C9YA007***

Anyone help?

Thanks

The 02 has alot of issues worked out that the 01 has, if you can buy a 02 go with it.

I had my choice of the 01 and the 02, I read about all the issues the 01 has and went with the 02. I am very happy with the bike.

Chris

Actually the 01' and 02' are very similar, only minor changes I believe. The 01' is a very solid bike with all the major kinks worked out. The changes between the 00' and 01' may be significant, but I think the changes between 01' and 02' were small such as different diameter brake rotors, slight suspension adjustments, etc.. Can anyone back me up on this?

Also I've got the 01' and it's been solid, great bike!

Actually the 01' and 02' are very similar, only minor changes I believe. The 01' is a very solid bike with all the major kinks worked out. The changes between the 00' and 01' may be significant, but I think the changes between 01' and 02' were small such as different diameter brake rotors, slight suspension adjustments, etc.. Can anyone back me up on this?

Also I've got the 01' and it's been solid, great bike!

I agree. The differences between the 01 and 02 are not very significant. I would look at the bikes for what they are. And not the plastic. Check the wheel bearings & stearing stem bearings. Does the rear suspension squeak at all - Those are the things to be concerned about.

My $.02

The '02 has a newer swingarm design and some other small changes...the bigger changes came between '00 and '01..such as the Ti valves...the carb...the brakes...etc....

From Off-Road.com here's the list of what was new in '02.

Revamped carburetor settings deliver crisper, more linear throttle response for optimal engine output.

Remapped digital CD ignition system delivers more precise spark and optimal timing for faster, stronger response during hard acceleration, and less kickback during starting.

All-new hydroformed swingarm is lighter and stronger for reduced weight, greater rigidity and more compliant rear suspension action, while an anodized finish gives it a trick, factory team-style look. Also includes a larger pivot shift for increased durability.

Rear shock refinements include improved actuation, a new linking ratio and enhanced damping force.

Revamped front fork settings deliver improved damping force with less bottoming for a smoother, more compliant overall stroke.

Lightweight front wheel hub reduces unsprung weight and increases durability.

Larger rear brake disc means greater stopping power.

Retooled handlebar mounts are increased in size to help accommodate a wider range of riders.

If it were me, I would go for which ever bike was in the best shape. All of these chages were pretty insignificant.

Funny that they wanted a STRONGER rear brake on the '02. My 01' rear brake is too touchy for my personal taste!

It was the retooled handlebar mount that sold me!

Just a bunch sales hype out of Yamaha saleperson's handbook. The 02 426 has the same swingarm, hubs, & brakes (execpt for the rear master) as the 03 & 04 450s. It is the lightest of all the years. Motor Dept. 01 &02 are the same.

all of the changes listed below are real. The retooled handlebar mount is irrelevant since everyone changes the clamp anyway. The rest of the items though are significant.

From Off-Road.com here's the list of what was new in '02.

Revamped carburetor settings deliver crisper, more linear throttle response for optimal engine output.

Remapped digital CD ignition system delivers more precise spark and optimal timing for faster, stronger response during hard acceleration, and less kickback during starting.

All-new hydroformed swingarm is lighter and stronger for reduced weight, greater rigidity and more compliant rear suspension action, while an anodized finish gives it a trick, factory team-style look. Also includes a larger pivot shift for increased durability.

Rear shock refinements include improved actuation, a new linking ratio and enhanced damping force.

Revamped front fork settings deliver improved damping force with less bottoming for a smoother, more compliant overall stroke.

Lightweight front wheel hub reduces unsprung weight and increases durability.

Larger rear brake disc means greater stopping power.

Retooled handlebar mounts are increased in size to help accommodate a wider range of riders.

If it were me, I would go for which ever bike was in the best shape. All of these chages were pretty insignificant.

looking at those vins, the 10th digit one is a 2000 the other is a 2001 model.