Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gimgim

Guide to uncorking (2003 XR650L) :confused:

8 posts in this topic

I am not even sure whether mine is uncorked or not; I hope it's not because the performance are a disappointment, the beemer ('97 F650 was almost better).

All I know is that the baffle is missing and that the bike is sputtering and stalling a lot (less when hot).

I am the 3rd owner and the guy who sold it to me knew nothing.

A couple of questions:

1) How do I check whether it is uncorked or not?

2) Is there any comprehensive guide on what to do?

3) Is it normal a max speed of 85/90mph?

Thanks

G.

uncorking refers to the process of Re-jetting, opening up the intake and exhaust and possibly the removal of the smog equipment.

Its pretty easy to tell if some of the mods are done. is there holes drilled into the left side cover below the seat? if not, take off the side cover and the seat ( kind of a pain the first time, look for two bolts fairly low in the rear wheel well ). on the top of the airbox, there is a small opening to let air in. There is a piece of plasic with two holes in it, held into the top of the airbox with two rivets, this is called the snorkel and removing that is one of the steps of uncorking. if thats still in there, and you have a stock airfilter and exhaust, then its safe to say that your bike hasn't been uncorked.

check out this link. there is lots of info on this site

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/

:naughty:

Thank you both! I've read the article, very detailed.

The snorkel is still there and the filter looks stock, so I will get a foam filter ASAP and start the procedure.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted...

Hey by the way with stock sprockets and no jetting/carb mods my xrl 650 would pull over 100 mph. After going to a 13 tooth front (stock carb still at this point) it will only run 90-93 wide open, my point being check your sprockets, it just seems to me your top speed would be a little higher if it had the stock sprockets.

One more thing you probably realize this, but going to small sprocket in the front (13 or 14 tooth) and a larger one in the back(48) really will wake up your acceleration. I think 15 front and 45 rear are stock.

:naughty:

Thank you both! I've read the article, very detailed.

The snorkel is still there and the filter looks stock, so I will get a foam filter ASAP and start the procedure.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted...

Do the jetting first. It's already lean from the factory. When you start the mods before the jets it just makes it worse.

Drill it, shim it, jet it, filter it, pipe it, cam it, gear it 15/48 and you will be one of the happiest dirt bike driver's on the planet. Especially if you do alot of riding. The pavement is a blast and off road is even funner.