Oil change intervule for non racer??

I do mine after 3 rides. I use Yamalube 4 and bought a stainless steel filter. I clean the filter every oil change. Paid $40 for the ss filter but the oem filters were $13. The ss filter doesn't take long to pay for itself.

Why so often, Is the engine that hard on the oil? With the quality of oils these days I don't understand. Today's oils don't break down like just a few years ago. Contamination on the other hand is another story.

It's not a matter of the oil breaking down. It needs to be changed often because of contaminates from the clutches.

No. And for the most part all the filter does catch are chunks of metal etc.

I never had an hour meter on my 426 but have one now on my YZ250. Let me tell you...10-15 hours on one oil change on these thumpers is pushing it. REAL ride time for me averages less than and hour and a half each time at the track. I used to changed the oil in my 426 every other ride/race and change the filter every other oil change. So based on my hour meter your talking 3 hours of ride time. Doesn't sound like much but everytime I changed the oil it was nasty and ready to come out.

BTW....my 426 worked flawlessly and never had any cam/valve or tranny problems. I had it for almost 3 years.

It's not a matter of the oil breaking down. It needs to be changed often because of contaminates from the clutches.

From the clutch and other areas. But Texan is correct; you change it often because it's contaminated, not because it's broken down. Very important to change frequently.

I probably average about 3 hrs on an oil change unless I'm out for an entire weekend.

That may seem a bit extreme to some, but the cost of oil is cheap relative to the cost of a major rebuild.

On my 450, I change oil after every race and/or every 3 rides for practice - avg 3-4.5 hrs.

Standard paper filters replace every other ride or complete clean of my SS Scotts filter each oil change.

426 brass filters I would clean and reuse multiple times -

Oil is up to you - I stocked up on Mobile 1 red cap 15 -50..........