Clutch problems on 00 YZ426?

I just bought my first 4-stroke...a 00 426. When taking off from a start it kind of jerks 2 or three times and surges to get going when releasing clutch ? . I have feathered it as much as I could thinking it was just me at first but it deffinatly does not feel right. Been riding all my life, is it just the nature of the beast or do I need to repair clutch? Also what or weare can I find valve clearance specs? You guys are the pros at this thumper stuff Im still learning! ? Thanks a lot!

I would take apart your clutch and look at your plates and basket sounds to me like pads are possibly starting to go and if you are new to the bike examine the basket for marks on the cogs that would cause problems.

This should help you out a little:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/valves.htm

hope this helps you it is for a 250 but relevent to Yamaha look around on that site a lot of usefull info ?

My 2000 always did that and its a faulty design. They changed it in 01. Do a search for 01 clutch mod and you will find all the info to change over to the 01 clutch. Use stock clutch parts they work the best. Costs a little over $100 but its worth it.

You have to get a specific basket for the 2000 model because the gear you need to remove from the original basket mounts differently between 2000 & 2001. 2000 models were notorious for grabby clutches. Just purchase the plates and steels for the 2001. Your basket is probably fine. Btw it has springs not pads. You could use the basket from the 2001 if it comes with the gear installed, but you cant purchase the gear seperately from Yamaha.