HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirtr1der

Sound check

5 posts in this topic

OK, Took the insert out of the GYTR exhaust on my 02 WR. I wrapped the spark arrestor with one layer of packing. I warmed the bike up today and tested the noise level. Just as I thought, it is not yet legal. It was around 102 dB at 1/2 throttle. :) I held the meter 45 degrees off the end of the pipe, 20 inches away (thats how they sound check here in Michigan at our club rides.) The bike idles @ 92 dB! At 1/3 throttle, it was around 99 dB.

I am going to try to wrap some more packing before re-installing the moped sounding, power robbing insert.

Can you please send some pictures of your project? I'm planning to install GYT-R muffler to my bike.

I'd send some pics, but it looks like no matter how much packing I use, I can't get enough around the spark arrestor to quiet the bike to 94dB. I just warmed it up again tonight after re-wrapping the screen and I could barely get the spark arrestor back into the silencer without unwinding the packing.

The bike sounded a lot more mellow, but still read 99-100dB on the meter!

What specifically do you want to see???

Close-up of wrapped screed would be nice :) thanks..

Do you use a "silent insert" for GYT-R muffler?

Is your meter at the right angle. A lot of people think the meter has to be pointed at the exhaust while working at the 45° angle. Not adjacent to it.

saej1287page1.jpg

saej1287page2.jpg