Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
treukauf

wr400 too slow

22 posts in this topic

Ok I just back from test driving a 2000 wr 400. It has 700 miles and the original tires. The guys trustworth and drove it slowly all its life with many oil changes. Ok i get on this thing after its warmed up and it was a huge let down after riding my cr 250. It felt like i was dragging a motor home or something. I hillclimb a lot and I have to match 99 yz 250's. My question is how much does cutting the gray wire, removing muffler insert and changing to yz timing help also grinding the throttle stop. I mean at this point i'm going to go find a 426 unless you guys say those free mods are worth a $h#$ load of power. He hadn't done anything not even the throttle stop. Can u guys with wr 400s keep up with the 250cc two strokes at all. Thanks.I'm leaning to a 426 tho.

If the throttle stop wasn't cut at "full throttle" the carb was only 1/4 open. Removing the muffler insert and rejetting makes a huge difference. I haven't done the gray wire mod so I can't tell you about that. I own a WR450 an as delivered by the dealer it was slow--had to work to wheelie the bike. After removing the muffler insert and rejetting it is hard to keep the front wheel down! :) Haven't done the YZ timing either.

Well I can say that I have done all the mods and my ride buddies have a ktm400 and another has a 04CRF450 and an 05 WR450 the 400 will hang. it will climb anything. if it is bone stock and the true miles there are simple fixes to be done and you will enjoy it.

The throttle stop if its stock will kill this thing. It really limits throttle opening by a bunch. It soulds like the bike is all stock, I assume even the throttle stop. This could be good, you know it has had all easy miles and is probably a good deal. Uncork it and it will be an animal. I can stand my 450 up in every gear except 5th without a tug on the bars.

My '00WR400F was a different bike before mods. Free mods listed, plus proper jetting per JD spreadsheet and jetting kit (see jetting forum) will give the bike a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT personality.

You will definitely be able to hang with any 250.

I just bought a well ridden 98 WR400 and it hauls butt (throttle stop off and uncorked). I came from riding a '98 KX250 for the past 2 years and was a little let down on the first ride of the WR because I was expecting the power to hit like a NOS bottle like my KX did. I bought it anyway as I knew 4 stroke was the route for me and I had limited funds. It is hard to realize the 4 stroke power is there because it comes in so smoothly and not violently like the KX. The front wheel comes up much smoother and stays up (controllably). It is a much more predictable bike and the clutching is so smooth, especially coming out of tight turns in loose dirt. You use the clutch much much less. I rode the YZ450 (with a few mods) that the WR's previous owner just bought and it did not come in as violent as I was expecting either (flywheel weight was added to tame it a bit as he said it was violent to begin with). If you want the power to come in violently, I do not think the 400 is a good fit, but you will be very surprised how fast you are actually going on the thing. They initially feel heavy and slow compared to 2 strokes and the first few miles of trails I put on the thing were very odd feeling, but after I got the hang of riding it in a couple of hours, I was going way faster in the same places as my KX. If you have the bucks, most folks would tell you to go with more cc's (and newer bike). If you are on a budget or the bike is in extremely good shape, I think you will like the 400.

Ok I just back from test driving a 2000 wr 400. It has 700 miles and the original tires. The guys trustworth and drove it slowly all its life with many oil changes. Ok i get on this thing after its warmed up and it was a huge let down after riding my cr 250. It felt like i was dragging a motor home or something. I hillclimb a lot and I have to match 99 yz 250's. My question is how much does cutting the gray wire, removing muffler insert and changing to yz timing help also grinding the throttle stop. I mean at this point i'm going to go find a 426 unless you guys say those free mods are worth a $h#$ load of power. He hadn't done anything not even the throttle stop. Can u guys with wr 400s keep up with the 250cc two strokes at all. Thanks.I'm leaning to a 426 tho.

Why not just buy a 426 with the mods done and have no worries. Oh by the way I just happen to have one for sale(2002 426). PM me if interested. What part of Montana are you in and where to you hillclimb. Take is easy, Black n Blue

another thing, the steering seemed heavy but this guy said its always like that. It had a real stable feel, but it seems like it took a lot more effort to turn the bars when driving than my cr kdx or xr 200. Is this normal or is the steering head bearing out. I want to run with an 96 xr 600 stock, what mods could i do besides the free ones. Do any pipes or headers help noticebly compared to stock with the baffle out? He only want 2100 for the bike. Its a good deal for sure but i'don't know about the power. Does a hot cam with yz time make these bikes a lot harder to drive.

Finally the big question. What difference in power is there between say an 01 wr426 and an 00 400. Is it big. he said his 426 had a lot more top end. I just want to know if i should wait for a 426 or if the difference is negligible(sp).

Get the bike, do the mods. You will not run out of power. From a 426 to 400, you're going to notice a difference, but it will be slight (assuming both bike have the free mods done).

Uncork, Re-jet, Grey Wire, YZ Time. You will not be dissapointed. Also, you will rip the XR600 a new ass.

When your done with the free mods you will smoke an XR 600 at will, whether it's a 400 or a 426. I would dump that 50 tooth rear and install a 48 tooth rear as well.

Have fun. :)

treukauf, I had a cr250 before my wr400. All the free mods except for the grey wire and timing have been done. There are very few places where a 250 can hang with my 400, especially in hill climbs. The WR just walks away. Before you get discouraged, do the throttle stop, jetting and pipe. I full throttled my CR on many occasions, but have yet to find full throttle on my WR. No comparison.

I really don't like the heavy steering feel. It felt like something was resisting the bars to turn. It wasn't notchy, it was a smooth resistance. The owner said it was like this from the factory. How do your guy's bikes pressure required to make the bars turn compare to xr's and Cr'.s Because it took a lot more effort to turn the bars than my old cr and xr. Is this normal?

There's a pretty good chance that the steering head bearings will need to be greased. They usually come assembled with very little. If this bike has had no mods done, then I would guess the bearings (swing arm, steering) have not been looked since assembly and are going to need greased. This could easily be causing the resistance.

If its just a smooth resistance that probably just means I need grease and maybe loosen the bolt, right? Are there anyways to tell if the bearing are shot. If I buy it I will pull it apart and indulge in grease. lol The steering is like nothing i've ever felt but all i've rode is xr cr and i used to have a 91 kdx 200. Thanks. I don't know what I want to do. Its an amazing price, but I'm scared about the power thing and might hold out for a 426.

on another note, The throttle was extremely sticky and would stick unless moved. I know this is dumb to ask a simple question such as this, but were there any problems with throttle slides cracking or getting scored. I've seen it happen on xr's where the slide starts sticking and eventually requires a new slide or possible new carb,(happened on a 200).But the hard steering bothers me. Don't know why i'm just used to cr.

The throttle tube it probably cracked, dirty, and you should likely lube the throttle cables. My WR400 will smoke any 250 2stroke I have seen so far. The power difference is tremendious. If the bike still needs more horsepower AFTER the basic mods are done, get a white brothers 420 big bore kit, or a Thumper Racing 430 Big bore kit, and if you still need more power, I would reccomend a CR500. My 400 is a beast, it will wheelie by twisting the throttle in any gear, and if it won't wheelie, its because it spins the tire. The 400 is a lot faster than a 250 2-smoker, just in the "un-corked" form.

It sounds as though it was just neglected and there may be some rust here and there. If he didn't do even the free mods, he probably didn't like working on it much. At 700 miles, it's hard to go wrong, even if he didn't change the oil but once, even if it needs new steering head bearing cups, even if you have to take it apart and do the things he didn't do.

Quit slackin' and just get the thing and get to work!

426's are good, too. But after 4 years, my 400F is still going strong.

At times, I have ridden it very hard, but I've always taken good care of it when it needs maintenance and service. They just hold up well.

He actually was a freak about changing the oil he kept a log and everything. He change oil at every 100 miles or every 2 months and he would start the bike every month in the winter to lube it up.. He had a wr 426 he rode mostly. His wife rode this bike some and he used it to go up trails.

Does the stock pipe with the baffle or whatever its called, removed make about the same power as say an fmf or white bros. I just was curious, because I've heard people say uncorked its really loud but makes about as much power as any pipe.

sorry about all the questions. Its just that when funds are limited its a good idea to do a lot of research. Thanks.

I have had a CR500 for the last 3 years and it ripped :p

I no longer wanted to be mixing gas and dealing with all the BS that comes with it so I bought a 99WR400 I have been riding for 25 years and I can tell you that I enjoy my WR just the same it has not let me down at all climb anything and hang with anyone. It is a decent bike and worth the money I would never go back to a two smoke again :) 99 WR400 and love it :)