Weak front brake

Gents,

01 yz 426 and the front brakes have no stopping power. They work but just not well enough. I removed res cap and notice that when I pull the brake lever fluid comes back up into the res. A couple of friends that was with me at the time told me this was not normal. Any suggestions??

Flog

Sounds like master cylinder seals, normal yz brakes are good, if you have new pads they all need bedding in, hold hard pressure on the lever if it moves to the bars gently it proves something is leaking, if the pads need bedding in you can tell by looking at the disc, wet it a few times and let it dry between wettings, spin the wheel a few times off the ground and braking gently, this will show where the pads are rubbing,

good luck....CURTAINS23

Before you do anything drastic, try prying out the brake pad away from the rotor with a large screwdriver them pumping the brake lever until it firms up. Repeat once or twice. What this accomplishes is to back bleed air bubbles out into the reservoir often firming up the brakes.

Yea I have all kinds of bikes and the yz brakes are as good as any, and actually i was suprised when I first tryed them. So just overlook all the honda goons its all bull, and bleed your lines, check you pads for ware and youll be good.

Seriously, I have never owned a Honda. The insides of the Honda master cylinder are slightly different. The piston is as well. You'll pick up a decent amount of performance by making the switch.

A used honda master cylinder on ebay is cheaper than Yamaha's rebuild kit.

RC, I wasnt refering to you.lol but I wouldnt put honda parts on a good bike.lol Even you said it (cheaper) ?

Master Cylinder issue

Plus what Fluid are you using?

Aka Dot Type

Do not use Dot 5 it will destroy your seals in a minute it is not compatible with dot 4 or dot 5.1

If you have done this then you probably ate the seals up.

The only time you should use dot 5.1 is in a fresh never before filled system.

Get Motul 600 it is the best and has the highest boil points ?

My 2000 had horrible front brakes and I mean horrible! They wouldn't even lock up on the mud...

I picked a Nissin MC off ebay that was a leftover from the Cannondale bikes, got a Ride Eng. SS line and some Motul 600 fluid. I couldn't believe how much better it was. I'm sure the fluid and SS line helped, but I believe the MC made the biggest difference.

My 2000 had horrible front brakes and I mean horrible! They wouldn't even lock up on the mud...

I picked a Nissin MC off ebay that was a leftover from the Cannondale bikes, got a Ride Eng. SS line and some Motul 600 fluid. I couldn't believe how much better it was. I'm sure the fluid and SS line helped, but I believe the MC made the biggest difference.

brandon I as well, but what fixed mine was a oversize rotor the motul and some nice EBC pads ?

OK as far as the fluid, I have not changed it and have no idea what is there. Pads are new. But something just is not right besides it being a Yamaha mc. I also have a 99 Yz400 and the front brakes will throw me over the bars. I will try the tricks of trying to seat the pads (Never done it before but worth a try). Thanks for the suggestions.

Flog

Get a Honda front M/C and a Honda-style front brake line, it makes a WORLD of difference in the YZ-F brakes! I bought my CR style hose on Ebay for $10 and a CRF 450 front M/C for $60, so I did a complete front brake upgrade for not much more than the cost of just a hose! You may get lucky and be able to find a complete CR/CRF front brake system cheap on Ebay as well.

How do you bleed the brakes anyway? Can you open the drain on the caliper and pump the brakes till there's no bubbles? I have a 98cr125 that has soft front brakes. Has newer pads so I'm wondering what to do to get them working better? I took the top off the MC and fluid was overflowing, it that too much?