HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaGuy78

100 Miles

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!!

I am approaching 100 miles on my new 05 450. What are some things to look for and/or maintain at this mark?

I have already changed my oil and filter after my first ride (lots of metal shavings) and I have lubed all the back bearings.

Also, what are some other mile/hour marks for maintenance?

I am still new to the 4 stroke game, so any advice would be awesome!

Thanks!

Change the oil, check the valve clearance, clean the air filter, and have fun with your bike.

One or more valves may be tight. My buddy's middle intake valve was at .07, while the other two were at .10. All three factory shims were 192, so he's replacing them all with 195's.

If you don't see the valves move again during the next 500 or so miles, don't expect them to move before 3,000 or so.

Spokes make sure none are loose, rear sprocket no loose nuts, gear shift not loose.

If you had lots of metal in your oil I would change it again after about another 1/2 hour of riding, but I'm just fussy.