HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DRZBigB

2003 WR450 Valve Inspection 3,000 Miles

10 posts in this topic

I just helped my Brother check the valves on his 2003 WR450F...

I got these specs from a post on here - Are they correct?

Intake: .004" - .006"

Exhaust : .008" - .010"

HERE ARE THE ACTUAL CLEARANCES ON THE BIKE:

Intake 1: .004 Exactly

Intake 2: .0035 (In Between .003 & .004)

Intake 3: .0035 (In Between .003 & .004)

Exhaust 1: .008 Exactly

Exhaust 2: .008 Exactly

SO - Do I need to reshim Intake 2 & Intake 3???

Is is CRUCIAL or is it OKAY?

Thanks!

Thanks - I'll tell my brother we need to reshim - are you SURE .001" OVER the specs, or just .006 and .010

We discussed it, and we are going to shim ALL the valves to the MIDDLE of the specs..

Intake: .005

Exhaust .009

I don't forsee them tightening up any more, and if they do, I'll just reshim it to the middle again in a year or so...

Sound Right?

I went to the high side when I first did my valves and noticed lifter tap when the motor was up to temp. I now have them at .006 on intake and .008 on exhaust with no noise. :)

In the Jan 05 issue of Dirt Bike Magazine pg. 51, there is a description of the set-up on the Glenn Helen 24-hour winning YZ450 of Ty Davis. It mentions that the valve clearances are "set a thousandth looser than normal". I assume this is done for reliability. I have no idea what "normal" means in this context. But FWIW, I always set mine to max specified clearance and have had good results over more than 5000 miles on my 03 Wr450.

That said, I think if you check your valves regularly, and run the clearances in the middle of the spec there should be no problems.