Stock xr600 carb

I picked up a non running 93 xr600...

Fixed a few bent valves... and relaced the timing chain...

It has great spark... and I have cleaned out the carb... But I cannot get it to start...

I think it is not getting gas from the carb... after kicking it ten million times... and then getting our xr120 sto spin the tire to try to bump start it we cannot get this beast to fire...

So I am looking for stock working carb to try...

Anyone have one sitting around they could let go?

Thanks for the help

Have you tried a little starter fluid in the airbox? ? When I ride in the winter instead of wearing out my leg, I spray a little, I mean a little, automotive starter fluid into the airbox, through the airfilter. Generally one kick later, she runs. I have a '96 XR600.

I wish... I tried it... I get a few pops and that's it...

I am thinking that I might have a cam timing issue... but I really don't see how the plug isn't soaked with gas... or gas shootin out the pipe...

This has been a pain for me... when I got the bike (not running)... I had to put in new valves and I re-used the old chain... which was fairly new... the timing marks were a little off... one tooth would be a little adavanced and the other tooth would be a little retarded... neither one was spot on... so I put it together and we cannot get it to run... it has good spark... but cannot seem to get any good signs of gas getting into the cyl... we even put our little xr120 to the test and tried to bump start it tire to tire... no luck...

I might open it back up to see what is going on... I can not find a carb to save my life unless I want to shell out 2-300 on a new carb setup... not sure what I want to put into this thing...

I should just sell it as is... 93xr600 that should run:-)

Any idea on what it would sell for?

It has a hotshot crank and rod... newer piston... new valves... needs some tlc

I had thought of that after I was putting it away... maybe next time I pull the bike out to mess with it I will try that before I start taking things apart:-)

Thanks for the ideas...

i just rebuilt my xl600. found the same thing with the timming marks. either slightly advanced or slightly retarted. I got it as close as possible, it started right up. i'd pull the plug, hold it against the block, and make sure you have spark. then drop a little gas down the plug hole and see if it will fire.

Spark plug on cyl was my first test... hadn't thought of the gas in the cyl till after I put the bike away... I did shoot starter fluid into the carb... Not that much of a help... gas will be going into the cyl next time I get it out... prolly this weekend!

When you checked cam timing, did you find the mark on the flywheel with the "t" on it? If you try to align the cam with the other unmarked notches on the flywheel, you will end up off for sure (I did this once). On the unmarked notches, the cam will be a little off either way....

If the cam timing is out, it will be very difficult to start. Make sure you've got that right. When the "t" mark is lined up in the flywheel inspection hole, the marks on the cam sprocket should be pointing out horizontal and inline with the top of the head. Also make sure you have the right clearance in the valves, and if you have a manual decomp hooked up on this bike, make sure it has a little freeplay, otherwise your right exhaust valve is open all of the time causing the bike to lose all compression. Good luck!

I think the cam was about 2 teeth off when it would still start. Yup, got lucky.

The original post here says the cam wouldn't line up quite right. I found that to be the exact case when I tried to time the cam on the wrong flywheel marks. The wrong marks are VERY prominent without letters, and before (counterclockwise) the needed and much less evident "t" mark. Did the timing marks on the cam not line up with the correct "t" mark on the flywheel?

The two marks you have used are the flywheel key alignment marks, just a guide to make refitting the flywheel a bit easier (dont you love Hondas attention to detail?) it was a fair way out, must have been really close to having valves hitting the piston! Anyway, problem solved- enjoy the beast!

You should bring the piston up to top dead center,take the plug out of stator side cover to see that your timing mark is lined up.It will line up with a T or F mark.IF YOU GO PAST THE MARK GO AROUND AGAIN.When your at top dead center your rocker arms wont have any tension on them.Take inspection caps off and check them to be sure.While you have the timing mark lined up check your valve clearance. It may need adjusted,if the exhaust valves have any tension on them your losing compression .Also make sure the air cleaner is in good shape,has been cleaned and re-oiled.I just bought a XL600 with the same problems.

Good Luck