Expert Opinion on Anything WR

? I am buying a used 03 WR450 and have been looking at numerous items to buy simply because I have never bought into the theory, "If it aint broke don't fix it". My theory is "If you got extra money you don't have enough crap".

I want some opinions on a few items.

W.E.R. vs Scotts vs GPR damper's

Power Now Valves

YZ seats vs WR seats.

Baja Designs vs Trick Dual SPort Kits

Also is the stock WR pipe different than the YZ pipe?

I am sure I will have more questions later.

The original owner bought it and rode it. He says he never had a problem. He raced 7 races and pleasure rode a few times. The bike has 800 miles on it. Shouldn't the bike have already had problems with the woodruff if they were going to occur?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I want some opinions on a few items.

Power Now Valves

YZ seats vs WR seats.

Baja Designs vs Trick Dual SPort Kits

Also is the stock WR pipe different than the YZ pipe?

I am sure I will have more questions later.

I'll start things off for you: You could never go wrong with Scott's, I have the GPR with no regrets. If the funds are available, by all means go with Powernow, but if your running tight with $$ do this one last. Both stock YZ/WR seat are pretty hard, you'll need the YZ tank and shrouds to benefit from a YZ seat but go with a aftermarket seat foam. I wouldn't mention or even type Blah Ha Designs. The stock WR pipe is completely different from the YZ pipe at least from the silencer point of view, the YZ pipe is less restrictive.

Do the 04' starter upgrade! I wouldn't risk cracking the case much less getting stranded from a known problem with a cure. Give yourself peace of mind and cruise without fear. Good Luck ?

You might add to your list the following a Seat with more foam, Rekluse clutch, Honda style front brake line. I have 7000 miles on my 03 and never had the key problem. The stock exhaust is too heavy and gets too hot and robs power, chuck it for a lighter performance model. Scott's makes great stuff, get a sharks fin on your order to. I think the most important thing to get is riding time! Have fun with the goodies!

Amen brutha!

Plan on spending $250 to upgrade to '04 starter parts to prevent woodruff key failures (if the previous owner hasn't already done it.) ?

Starter upgrade

What do we know here on TT. ?

Just do it unless you want to be stranded 30 miles from no where and have to walk out leaving your bike behind! ?

It prevents more than key failures it also prevents craked engine cases and busted gears! :D

It might be fine now, but if you start making mods, expecially airbox and exhaust mods, you will make your bike run leaner. Lean jetting is what will lead to woodruff key shearing. Read up on it.

If it shears, in the best case you will have to push your bike home and you will spend the money anyway. In the worst case it will cause damage to your crank, engine cases and more.

I pushed my bike 1 mile back to a road. It always breaks in the worst possible place.

I was in a nature preserve at the bottom of a STEEP hill.

I had the parts sitting in a box at home.

Yes I am a jerk-off.

Can only comment on the Scotts, which I recently purchased. I did a more detailed review if you want to search the archives for detail, but the bottom line is that I am very happy with it. you do not really notice they are there while riding, but realize how it saved your butt when you think back upon your riding adventures. The O return to center resistance and numerous people that swear by them is what sold me. But the extensive research I did make it sound like you could not go wrong either way. Basically, what peopel told me is that they are VERY close in performance, but the Scotts was favoarble in tight riding and GPR in desert.

i have a W.E.R. damper and in the tight stuff its just short of amazing. even at slow speed where it used to feel awkward its now fluid motion. i,ve ridden the scotts and the wer is more,well fluid like i said. the scotts takes the big hits better. i think the wer is better for people who are borderline on liking/needing to run a damper. ?

I would listen to these guys and get the owner to take the $$ for the starter upgrade off the price of the bike. Otherwise, look for a different one. There's been way too many people stranded because of this issue. It's very well documented if you just look in this forum.

I've got the Rekluse and a Scotts on my KTM 300 EXC. For the $$, the Rekluse is a better upgrade IMO.

I'd junk the stock bars, get EE handguards, decent skid plate, exhaust, radiator guards and possibly a larger tank before the damper or Rekluse.

I can only confim with the rest of you guys on the woodruff problem.Ihave an o3 450 and i found myself twice pushing the thing home but thanks to you guys with the advice i now run with both the idler gears out and had a bloody good time today on a motorcross practice track, The confidence is coming back with wr.Proberbly upgrade soon to 04 idlers.

cheers lid

yam 03 450 black excell rims,Spark arrester removed and fiddled

This is not from personal experience, but rather information that I have collected in my head to help with my own decision.

W.E.R.

Pros:

Mounts out of the way

No damping on "return to center"

Cheapest (about $300 at RM)

Allows use of stock bars and triple clamp.

Cons:

Not adjustable while riding

Requires welding or riveting to the frame

GPR

Pros:

Adjustable while riding

Mounts either above or below bars

Good reputation for service, have been known to do free overhauls at the track.

Cons:

Damping on "return to center" can make tight stuff tiring.

About $500-$600... comparable to Scott's

Scott's

Pros:

Adjustable while riding

Mounts either above or below bars

No damping on "return to center"

Cons:

About $500-$600... comparable to GPR

On the Scott's and GPR, note that the $500-$600 includes the triple clamp, and in the case of Scott's (BRP), a set of ProTaper bars, so overall cost is comparable (if you plan to go to fat bars). Above-the-bar mounting requires ProTapers or some other bar without a crossbar. The WER will work with your stock bars and triple clamp.

The "below the bar" mounting option is, IMHO, the safest way to go, as you can retain a bar pad for protection, however, this will raise your bars, IIRC, a couple of inches. A ProTaper "Universal Low bend" compensates for about 3/4" and will help, but if you're a shorter guy, this could be an issue.

These are just the basic physical aspects that are affecting my decision, and does not address actual performance. Scott's has a good reputation, as does GPR.