Can I join the club?

After a long debate between the R and the L, I just bought a 01' 650 L to replace my plated WR 426(I have a KTM 200 for the woods).I decided that I will be riding long highway trips to find the perfect fire roads(Mexico, here I come!) and the L would suite me better.The price was right and it had already had some good mods done.

I spent some time on it this last weekend on some nasty fire roads, and I must admit that I am impressed with this bike and the 10 year old technology.The power is adequate(uncorked) and the suspension was quite good considering the weight.I think it serves it's purpose well. It can cruise the highway at 75 and handle fireroads at a fairly aggressive pace.I think it is a good compromise between a KLR and something more dirt oriented.I have always been fond of high torque motors at lower rpm's. It reminds me of the powerband of my old 2 valve Ducatis.I'm ready to put some miles on this thing!

It has been uncorked and de-smogged,FMF pipe,Uni filter, and seems to be jetted correctly.What else do you guys recommend to get a little more power? (I will miss the 3rd and 4th gear wheelies from my Yamaha).

Edelbrock carb and a Hotcam?

Bigbore kit?

I do not want to sacrifice reliability at all.

I would appreciate everyones feedback on what works best for them.

Cheers, let's ride!

17602921-M.jpg

If you're not looking to be a speed demon on the road then I think your best bet for more power(feel) would be to gear it down a bit. Those 3rd and 4th gear wheelies should not be a problem after that.

you described the "L" model just about perfectly ... the lower gearing is good advice ... 15/48 maybe for street, or 14/48 like I use for both on and off-road ... keep her full of oil, and valves adjusted, and that thing will be around to give to your kids someday ... enjoy !

Just looked at the pic. I like the rack/moosepack combo. Looks sweet. Get some tank graphics on her, she looks nekid.

Try dropping one tooth on the countershaft sprocket & see how you like it. It will close the enormous gap between first & second and you'll only lose a little of the top end cruising speed. This may not be as noticable if you're running something like a 140/80-18 rear since it's a much larger tire than stock.

Some folks carry different cs sprockets with them and do mid-ride swaps depending on terrain conditions. I run 14-45 for dirt and 15-45 for street. 14-45 works well for me where I ride off-road.

Try dropping one tooth on the countershaft sprocket & see how you like it. It will close the enormous gap between first & second and you'll only lose a little of the top end cruising speed. This may not be as noticable if you're running something like a 140/80-18 rear since it's a much larger tire than stock.

Some folks carry different cs sprockets with them and do mid-ride swaps depending on terrain conditions. I run 14-45 for dirt and 15-45 for street. 14-45 works well for me where I ride off-road.

I just checked and it has 13/45.

I put 300 miles on it this past weekend. I still want a little more power. I will pull the carb this evening and see if the previous owner has it jetted correctly.

"...10 year old technology"

??

Older than that :naughty: