blew it up

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess i had it pinned too long. it was making a noise, like something was loose. so i did check the valves and the clearance was fine. went for a 120 mile with a bunch of buddies and mile 77 it happened. i have never seen anything like it. i wasn't even wide open when it happened. thank god we had a chase truck.

wr 450, o5. i am going to rebuild it. keep it for a few years and get a ktm, a real bike. i use to bleed blue, till this happened. my wife almost killed me!!! i told her how much money its going to take. i am glad i am not making payments!!!

wr 450, o5. i am going to rebuild it. keep it for a few years and get a ktm, a real bike. i use to bleed blue, till this happened. my wife almost killed me!!! i told her how much money its going to take. i am glad i am not making payments!!!

Now, Now, ? Don't overeact. I just spoke with a guy in our shop who toasted the motor in his 525. Think what it's going to cost him to repair!! Find out what went wrong-Is it an '05-How many miles?

it has 553 miles. before any desert ride we do a basic checklist the night before and oil was fine, changed it at 350 miles. there has always been a noise coming from the head, but the valves where in tolerance. think i am just going to take it in and have a pro look at it. looks like too many rpms? should have seen all the crap leaking out. the bike threw up!!!

The thing that surprises me is that there is absolutely no oil visible in the pics. I would think such a catastrophic failure would have caused at least some amount of oil to escape the crankcase. The little bit of the interior looks to be bone dry. Are you sure you didn't have an oil pump failure? The ticking noise should have been a warning that something was up. Sorry for your loss. ?

Man that hurts to look at.

You might want to search this forum for Yamaha warranty support. A few of the guys here got Yamaha to fix some starter related problems back in 2003. Maybe they might have some tips.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

..The ticking noise should have been a warning that something was up...

Normally I'd agree, but on all the 426's and 450's I've ridden (including my own '04 WR450) there's so much mechanical noise it'd be damned hard to determine which ticking noises are legit vs. which ones are timebombs. This is my first 4 stroke and compared to a 2 stroke I was amazed at how much mechanical racket comes out of these engines. And after adding a full sized skidplate to the bottom the noise seems even more magnified / echoed back up towards the rider. Sounds like a friggin' rock tumbler on nitrous under me sometimes.