Installing Hotcam stage 1 in XR 650 L

I would like to know if anyone would be able to lay down the steps to swap the camshaft on this bike. I just picked mine up at Honda and can't wait to fire it back up.

I would really appreciate any tips. Thank you all.

Mike

Sums it up well.

so how will you start your bike. article says the cam does not have the decomp on it and the starter won't turn it over with out the decomp?

I thought it would turn it over. Someone said it would.

the starter won't turn it over with out the decomp?

That is not true! Most people have reported that the bike starts better without the decompressor. Fires with 1-2 cranks of the starter.

MGS

I know when I deactivated my decomp, it really really labored to start. I would not trust it. And yes, the battery was good.

I know when I deactivated my decomp, it really really labored to start. I would not trust it. And yes, the battery was good.

Was it jetted correctly? The decomp is only there to make the engine turn over more freely at kicking/starting. This reduces the strain on the starter and battery, making them last longer. If the bike is jetted correctly, the lack of decomp should not have any effect on starting. It will, however, shorten the life of the battery and starter.

MGS

A 'bigger' cam will reduce the pressure in the cyl a little (at low RPM) and might make the engine turn over easier.

Dave

was jetted spot on. and it did start. it just had to work a lot harder. the starter is obviously not designed for that kind of load.