DOt tires good for off road?

another vote for the Pirelli 's here, MT's great in the dirt and great on the road.

MT21s :):)

DOT tires are needed to license the bike but I ride 98% offroad. Are there any DOT tires that are just as good as dirt tires for off road riding?

Anybody try the Pirelli MT21's?

Thanks in advance

Redmanrandyed

MT 21's are Ok but the Kenda Trackmaster is much better. It is a very good all round dirt tire for the ridding we do up here and the fact that they are DOT approved is a bonus.

9203782-L.jpg

MT 21's are Ok but the Kenda Trackmaster is much better. It is a very good all round dirt tire for the ridding we do up here and the fact that they are DOT approved is a bonus.

9203782-L.jpg

the Kenda's are cheaper but they wear WAAAAAY faster than the MT's, I also feel IMO that they are more dangerous on wet pavement than the MT's because of the harder compound.

I would think in Lotusland that might be a problem Max!!! :)

I am pleasantly surprized with the wear of the Kenda's. If you put on mostly road miles, then get the MT21s. If you just ride road to get to dirt, give the Kendas a try. I do run them with a pound or two more air as the sidewalls are average in stiffness. Haven't had any flat problems though, using Bridgestone HD tubes.

the Kenda's are cheaper but they wear WAAAAAY faster than the MT's, I also feel IMO that they are more dangerous on wet pavement than the MT's because of the harder compound.

I would think in Lotusland that might be a problem Max!!! :)

Ahhhh. My mistake. I thought we were looking for a DOT dirt tire. For sure the MT 21's are more sure footed on pavement both dry and wet.

No argument there.

I realize this is a few days after the fact, but I didn't see anyone mention Dunlop 606s. They handle great off-road, are not horrible on-road. I've ridden them on wet pavement in the rain and they seem very predictable. So far the durability seems pretty good also.

Cheers

I must say, just got my MT21's on 2 weeks ago, this was the first chance I got to ride with them in the mud/dirt. This friday and saturday it was as muddy as i've ever seen. and the MT21's did fantastic.

I could climb hills that were muddy as hell that some 2 strokes couldn't. Im sure it has alot to do with the 650L's weight but still they rock.

They grab very well in all sorts of conditions and ride excellent on the road. I am very happy with my decision to buy them! :)

I must say, just got my MT21's on 2 weeks ago, this was the first chance I got to ride with them in the mud/dirt. This friday and saturday it was as muddy as i've ever seen. and the MT21's did fantastic.

I could climb hills that were muddy as hell that some 2 strokes couldn't. Im sure it has alot to do with the 650L's weight but still they rock.

They grab very well in all sorts of conditions and ride excellent on the road. I am very happy with my decision to buy them! :)

The pig has burned up it's fair share of MT 21's in its time. No match for the Kenda Trackmasters IMHO when it comes to the dirt and mud performance. I still find it hard to believe they have the DOT stamp on them. But it works for me.

1013729-L.jpg

I just got the Terraflex Type II 150/90-18, man what a monster.

This beast is excelant off road in anything but really hard dirt. It's not the best on the road but it is better than the stock Dunlop the bike came with, and it is DOT.

what is the size you have on the trakmaster? I like wide . I even had to shim out muffler for clearence with the mich desert dot .

My Homie Rides The Michelin Desert On His '04 Wr450 Yamaha. The Rear Is A 140 Monster. I Am Very Impressed With It.

Mine is pretty worn in center. Thought I'd start lining up for a new knob . Treckmaster and terraflex sound tempting for the price.Rockeymountain is out . Any other deals elsewere ?

My answer to the root question: NO! I haven't run DOT tires on any of mydual-sports in at least 5 years.

I haven't either. ONLY NON-DOT for me :thumbsup:

I just bought a set new of Bridgestone ED-77 front and ED-78 (120/100)rear tires.

Haven't tried them yet but they look great. The rubber feels really hard and looks like it will take alot of abuse. Cant wait to try them.