WR450F pros and cons?

Just a list of pros and cons. I have a friend looking to buy and wants to know all the good things, and things that have been problematic. Help much appreciated. :)

The pros are:

competely adjustable power depending on the pipe.

Comfortable riding position.

Top of the line reliability.

Cons:

Front suspension takes time to dial in.

Like all WR's it takes a fair amount of effort to get uncork the motor.

Thats the only downside I can think of.

Don't see any cons, given its 450 4st competition:

-There is nothing Suzuki/Kawasaki has to compare.

-Honda has yet to deliver on the more $$, heaver 450X and its 250X brother has been a maintenance nightmare.

-KTM450exc is more $$, more suspension issues, arguably less powerful, louder(if you care), more $maintenance$; but "feels" lighter, thus could have an edge in very tight stuff depending on your size.

The 05 WR450 has excellent handling, egros, brakes, out-of-the-box suspension, reliability, lower maintenance than most 4st, awesome motor with a fun "hit" that revs to the moon, less $$ than it's competition.

You need to do the free mods, but they are no big deal -- not much more time than a oil/filter change/air filter cleaning.

Elton

If you are buying used, the 03 starter needs an upgrade using 04 parts.

It cost around $250 and a half hours worth of time.

See link

www.wr450.com

Pros: Highly addictive

Cons: Highly addictive

I cant seem to get my mind off of my WR450, the fun factor is off the scale :) Seriously, I am fairly new to the sport and the WR has been nothing short of awesome, no problems at all so far. Tell your friend to buy one, you will be his new hero. :)

the 03's had a couple issues,that were fixed for 04, the 05's are redesigned for midgets,i mean little people. if your over 6'2" you definately might want to look into the 04 instead of 05. other than that they're one of the most flexible machines i've ever owned. :)

...the 05's are redesigned for midgets,i mean little people. if your over 6'2" you definately might want to look into the 04 instead of 05:

Huh? The 05 WR450 has a taller seat height (38") than any KTM; don't see the KTM'ers (midgets) complaining -- actually many large riders are on KTM525's (w/36.42" seat).

05's seat height is 20mm (.78") lower than the 2004. I'm 6'1" 215 and don't sit flat footed. The 2005's are slimmer, lower cg, lighter, etc. -- as the Yamaha site says:

-Frame height is reduced by 10mm

-Seat height is a full 20mm lower

-Slimmer shrouds, seat, and fuel tank

-New, fully adjustable 48mm front fork tubes

...all increase rider mobility, maneuverability, and handling.[/Quote]

No mention of midgets :) !

Elton

i'm 6'4" and had to lower my pegs,add a tall foam seat, adjust the handlebar position on my 04 and still feel a little cramped! when i first rode my 04 i was so excited that they finally made a bike for people my size! then i sat on the 05 at the dealership and it felt more like my kids crf 230,i was a little disappointed. my next bike will be the yzf450(they left the frame alone on them). they feel like a 250 compared to a wr450. if taller people have a chance they should try both the 04 and 05 before buying is all i'm saying,the midget thing was just an attempt at humor :)

Love this machine. I am 6' 3" 240 pounds and there is no other machine I would ride on the trails and woods. I spent the good part of 6 months deciding if i was going to buy the XR650, KTM 525 or the WR450. Through research on the web, talking to owners of all three bikes, and dealers, I went with the WR and made the right choice for me.

The only hassle for me was the jettiing. Once I put the yosh pipe on jettting was easy and my bike rips. I still have tremendous torque in the low end for the gnarly hiills and rips in the top end.

For what it's worth, hope my 2 cents helps.

...my next bike will be the yzf450(they left the frame alone on them). they feel like a 250 compared to a wr450.

After my first "corked" WR ride I thought I messed-up and I should have bought the YZ.

After doing the free mods; I was over it, and happy I have the eStart, excellent WR suspension, wide ratio 5-speed vs. close ratio 4-speed, headlight that I need, kickstand, etc.

I got over my "YZ want" buy getting a 2-stroke KTM 300exc; very light and rips with any YZ but has enduro features.

Elton

i know i'm gonna have to do some modding,i've already taken the starter off so thats no an issue. i'm gonna run a rekluse and drop to a 13t frnt. i never use 5th in a race where i am ,so that gearing should be perfect. the hit on the 05 yzf is mellowed(so i may or may not need a flywheel weight). i'm fairly large so yz valving works for me in the woods. and hopefully when the aluminum frame comes out i can pick up a 05 cheap :)

... Once I put the yosh pipe on jettting was easy and my bike rips. I still have tremendous torque in the low end for the gnarly hiills and rips in the top end.

bushman,

I intend to get a "Yosh TRC comp/pro complete system" (if I can ever get my dealer to get it). Few hear have commented on the Yosh systems, thus I was wondered if anyone was using it -- are happy with its sound/power quality?

Elton