HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seabass

Needle Position And Gas Mileage

3 posts in this topic

I put a new needle in my bike ('04 YZ needle in an '05 WR) and ran a race yesterday and barely got 38 miles on 2.8 gallons of gas. There were alot of sandy creek beds and many of them were fifth gear drag races. I got 80 miles on 2.8 gallons and alot of that ride was fire roads in fifth gear, but I was using the stock needle.

I would expect to get less gas mile in the sand versus hard pack, but half the mileage? :) Can a needle change cause that much more gas consumption?

You can really suck gas with a rich needle and a high idle! Especially when lugging the motor around in low revs and short shifting. Wrong needle and or position. :) You should be getting 25 mpg in the worst condtiions with good jetting. :)

Thanks Indy :) , I adjusted the needle and the bike runs so much better. I tried to dial it in with the fuel screw but didn't have much luck. But I think I'm gonna save my bigger IMS tank and just buy some heat shield for the fuel lines, just in case!!!