cold start issues. BRP

When my XR650R is cold and I pull up the choke lever, should the bike start with a fast idle? Mine won't do that. I have to turn the idle screw in 3 turns for it to idle. Any other way it just won't start. Do all your bikes start the same way?

Usally any four stroke with the choke on or mid position will idle high for a minute of two. ??????

Sounds like something is up. My bike doesn't like much choke at all. Once I do the starting drill and it fires up I only leave it run on half choke for a couple of seconds only and then I turn it off. I never have to adjust the idle speed to keep it running. Sounds like an idle mixture/pilot circuit issue.

My girlfriend's CRF230 starts and idles fast with choke on half way. That's what I want is mine to do that. How do I fix it. The guy who owned the bike before me screwed around with it and I don't know what he might have done.

I would start be finding out what he screwed around with. Take the carb apart and see what has been changed. If it is uncorked check to see that is has the correct pilot jet and main for your attitude. Check to make sure it isn't dirty or plugged with any gunk etc.. and that the choke lever and butterfly are working properly. I always open up a carb on any used bike that I purchase just so I know what may or may not have been done to the jetting by the previous owner.

When my XR650R is cold and I pull up the choke lever, should the bike start with a fast idle? Mine won't do that. I have to turn the idle screw in 3 turns for it to idle. Any other way it just won't start. Do all your bikes start the same way?

Usally any four stroke with the choke on or mid position will idle high for a minute of two. ??????

mine is the same way. it was like that when it came from the factory. I have to crack the throttle just a little while on choke to keep it running