HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SDBSKI

Small end rod clearance xr650l

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I bought a '93 XR650L not running in need of some top end work. Upon teardown and doing some measuring I found, among other issues the clearance on the Rod/piston pin to be excessive. About .0027". I believe it is still serviceable but I was wondering how long it will last. The engine has about 9K on it and the rod big end is in good shape. Has anyone used a sloppy rod/piston pin without problems?

Thanks!

Well the standard clearance is .0009"-.0019" service limit given in the manual is 0.948" which is kind of strange. Instead of a clearance they give a max diameter on the rod small end. Mine measures 0.9475" which gives me a .0027" clearance with a standard pin. It appears to fall into the service limits, but if I run it, how long until it devolopes a rod knock? Or has anyone ran into the same situation and the thing ran many miles without a problem. :)

Steve