Change sprocket bolts ?

Hi everyone,

I am currently replacing my drive train. While tightening on my rear sprocket one of the bolts broke. My question is, would you replace all the bolts or just the one that broke? My concern is if one broke perhaps some of the others are ready to any time? Being so cheap the price isn't a concern. What would you do?

Thanks

Fryboy

Being so cheap the price isn't a concern. What would you do?

I think that's your answer, replace them.... :-)

Did you use a torque wrench? You just overtightened it, that's all. If you want to spend the money, replace them. But a bolt doesn't lose its strength unless you actively overstress it. I'd save the money for other stuff. :)

replace replace replace. there have been enough guys on this forum that have wasted rear hubs from busted sproket bolts to get my attention. there's an outfit that sells a kit on ebay. a couple buddies are using these nuts and bolts and are very pleased with them.

Nope didn't use a torch wrench. And I wasn't overly tightening the bolt as far as i could tell :p

I have made up my mind, I am switching out all of them. Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind :)

Fryboy :)

Nope didn't use a torch wrench. And I wasn't overly tightening the bolt as far as i could tell :)

I have made up my mind, I am switching out all of them. Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind :)

Fryboy :p

Replace them dude. Look at my sprocket luck and dont think twice. Replace them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replace the bolts and nuts, use a torque wrench and apply blue loctite (removable). :)

Hi everyone,

I am currently replacing my drive train. While tightening on my rear sprocket one of the bolts broke. My question is, would you replace all the bolts or just the one that broke? My concern is if one broke perhaps some of the others are ready to any time? Being so cheap the price isn't a concern. What would you do?

Thanks

Fryboy

If one broke, then others migh later, under heavy load, then it could tear up lots more. Replace them all now.

I too tried the cheap route once and it cost me a rear hub, engine case and a thirty mile ride back on my wifes bike, with her on the back. :)

I second, Replace,Replace,Replace.....

I always replace them with every new rear sprocket. Bolts are cheap. Hubs are expensive! :)

Replace them.

You need to be VERY CAREFUL about your chain tension. It is easy to make the chain too tight and that will pull on the rear sprocket and pop a bolt or two.

Were any other bolts loose or was it just the one???? :)